LegacyGT.com

LWFW change?

AP-Risk

had a new Exedy clutch, LWFW, pressure plate put in my 06 Spec B...blew up 6 days after i bought it used.

had all sorts of other problems that have sense been fixed but now it's throwing a 0328 knock sensor code.

I've been digging trying to find a possible answer...heard the lighter flywheel can cause weird vibrations..

Is this true and could it cause the CEL?

also have a catless downpipe installed to put exhaust on in the spring so it's throwing an O2 as well..

Advice?

I'm still a major noob! haha I won't hide it!

Get a 07-09 SMFW and get a good clutch, I like Spec Clutches but others on here seem to do the FX200 or 300 or the new 350

Search the threads below.

Don't go with a LWFW.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've got the Exedy Stage I with an ACT street lite and I don't see what the big gripe is with them? (granted I had a street lite on my GC8) Yes there's a slight learning curve but it becomes second nature after that

LWFW's give you more drive line noise on deceleration in 3/4th gear. I've learned to put it in neutral when I need to do that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yes i suppose there should be a slight disclaimer about the added NVH. Some people experience drastic NVH increases while others, including me, report minimal increases. It's needless to say it depends on your other mods (driveline mounts/bushings) and YMMV, however I wouldn't let that be the final say in persuading someone to go with/without the LWFW. Hope this clarifies some questions you had OP.

The other thing I found is I can not drive the car at 40mph in 5th gear anymore unless the road is flat or down hill. If I give it much gas the engine will lug.

BTW, my Spec LWFW is 17lbs.

I was just talking about this with a guy in second Gen forum...he put a lwcp and want to combine it with a lwfw...told him to be careful with that...Subaru motors though well balanced in stock form still need a bit of mass on the crank or else cels will pop up through pinging. Clutchmasters make a carbon steel alloy flywheel that is 8 lbs lighter and may hold up to the ecu better than something for strip applications or without tuning support.

Archived