LegacyGT.com

Remote start in 2005 gt sedan - lose a key?

Hi All,

I am planning to put on a 2-way alarm with remote start, but was told by the installer that i would need to hand in my spare key to get the remote start to work properly. Is this true? I also read that the 2005 subaru gt does not have an engine immobilizer, so this is kind of confusing me as to why they would need the other key. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

The key goes inside a box that has a coil wrapped around it on both ends one around the key and the other around the key cylinder. When you remote start the car the ecu sees the key and starts the car. The keys can get expensive from subaru, when i had one prgrammed it cost nearly $100, 30 bucks for the key and nearly an hr labor to program.

If they told you that they need your key then they need your key. From what I remember in car audio sales is that some cars have to be set up with a universal "bypass" module as there isn't a specific one made for them. The key goes inside of this module. Hope that makes sense.

Our cars take the 556U module. It doesnt take anything to program, and wires into the remote start itself. It should be included on any remote start installation price - thats if its a best buy or something.

Thanks, i will make a call to my dealership. So confusing, why couldn't Subaru just give immobilizers to all models in 2005 instead of just certain models..lol

EDIT:

just checked with my dealership and yep it has an immobilizer.. so i will need copies of my keys which they say is 45 a key plus 50-90 in labor fees to program.. that is outrageous!!

Also, if anyone is looking for a remote start and 2-way alarm.. i found a good deal for a viper 5701 for 102 shipped..

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2361823

• 2 weeks later...
OP, If the dealer is going to charge you that much for a regular key, then bring your own in. Fred beans has a all in one key I just received and had cut. $55(give or take) for the key and it was $30 to cut and program. Just a thought, the All in one key is pretty sweet.

Archived