LegacyGT.com

news of diesels in the states

cliveawn

The problem is the emissions regulations that are different between Europe and the US.

Maybe it will be resolved when the cars are conforming to Euro 6 (whatever level that means for the US) since that should be synchronized with the US emissions regulations but currently the Subaru diesels are Euro 5.

453747.png

They said that there will be autos in 2011(in sweden),all the diesels have 6 speed manuals.

for the first few thousand kilometers they seem notchy and stiff but they loosen up after a while.

That's what I did hear a while ago, but I can't be absolutely sure because it was only what the dealer told me.

And we all know what dealers says... And things can always be delayed...

453747.png

• 1 year later...
Not quite - it has a different (wider) gearing range.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/6mtgearings.png

The 2.5i has the same gearings as 2.0i. I didn't have the figures for the GT.

Gear ratios are different, but it has the split-case cable shifted 6MT that the 2010+ LegacyGT and 2.5i have. It's NOT the sleeve-case 6MT used in the SpecB or STi.

The 5EAT could handle the diesel, but the gear ratios suck and there are functional space limitations preventing too much modification of internal ratios. You'd have to change final drive to something north of 4.44 and that becomes yet another space challenge. The manual trans has more freedom and less cost associated with changing ratios.

I don't believe the CVT, in it's current configuration, can handle the Diesel (or it would be in the 3.6R), so they must be planning a big revision soon.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not quite - it has a different (wider) gearing range.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/6mtgearings.png

The 2.5i has the same gearings as 2.0i. I didn't have the figures for the GT.

GT is same as 2.0i/2.5i 1st-4th; 5th/6th in between 2.0D and 2.0i

5th is 0.780

6th is 0.666

As a note, both 2.5i and GT have 4.111 final drive; 2.5 OB had 4.444 final drive.

Visited the dealer today and got info that now it seems like they are going to have an AT gearbox for the 2013 model year diesel and that it's going to be the CVT.

I don't believe the CVT, in it's current configuration, can handle the Diesel (or it would be in the 3.6R), so they must be planning a big revision soon.

the diesel would produce too much power and rip up that CVT, the 6 might be going CVT, i really hope not! hopefully we can get a 6-speed auto from Toyota and use that in the Legacy/Outback, and leave the 5s for the Forester.

the diesel would produce too much power and rip up that CVT, the 6 might be going CVT, i really hope not! hopefully we can get a 6-speed auto from Toyota and use that in the Legacy/Outback, and leave the 5s for the Forester.

Why would you have a stepped AT gearbox instead of a gearbox that can give you an ideal ratio almost all the time?

I really hate the feeling when a stepped AT gearbox changes gear.

453747.png

Just for reference, the torque rating on the Euro 2.0D is 258 lb/ft, exactly the same as the USDM Legacy GT 2.5T.

However it's present between 1800 and 2400 rpm which is a very useful rpm range for a daily driver. So it provides a different characteristic and therefore a different challenge for the transmission compared to the GT.

453747.png

Archived