LegacyGT.com

Cat back exhaust question

Hi guys, I have a 98 legacy gt. I've had it for awhile, but before I went away to school the exhaust rotted and snapped off just after the cat. I took it in to get looked at and the guy said I just need a cat back exhaust and he won't be bending the pipes so it needs to be a direct fit. So here's what I'm wondering:

I found this exhaust and I'm wondering if it will work well as a replacement exhaust since there isn't much info on it:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mufflers/Subaru/LegacyOutback/1AEMK00132/576203?utm_campaign=gb_api_nobr&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_source=google_base&utm_content=EMK

I don't care if it isnt the best exhaust performance wise or loud but I would actually like a little noise. So I'm also wondering if anyone knows of a complete cat back out there or one that would be can be put together that would be better than the one I found.

Thanks a lot guys, any help is appreciated

Your best bet is to find a muffler shop, not a mechanic, and have them bend you up a stainless exhaust then use a vibrant or borla muffler with an 18" resonator. 2.5" tubing is the ideal size for NA subarus. Throw a set of borla knock off headers from ebay and you will have a nice boxer rumble.

And that exhaust will not fit, it is made for an outback which is longer than the sedan.

Alright thanks a lot guys. Any idea how much more expensive getting a custom exhaust would be, rather than having this one installed?

also i forgot to mention it is a wagon not a sedan but that doesnt really matter

Your best bet is to find a muffler shop, not a mechanic, and have them bend you up a stainless exhaust then use a vibrant or borla muffler with an 18" resonator. 2.5" tubing is the ideal size for NA subarus. Throw a set of borla knock off headers from ebay and you will have a nice boxer rumble.

And that exhaust will not fit, it is made for an outback which is longer than the sedan.

+2 for that

My best friend just had one made for his 2.2 wagon. Local muffler shop did it for only 250. Ill check into what all that included. But I know it was catback.

• I Donated

By a whole whopping few inches.

Overall length of the Outback is 185.8 (part of that being bumpers) and the sedan is 180.9. The wheel bases differ from about 2 inches irrc

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Its probably just the midpipe that rotted out...you can go to a junk yard and get one for $70 and install it yourself...maybe even sand and paint it to avoid rust...Get some rust cutter and let the bolts soak over night..just replace the bolts with stainless steel bolts....its a pretty easy install. Make sure you get the gasket seals, or else you might have exhaust leaking into your car. Good luck

• 10 months later...
Costed me $100 to replace the pipe from the rear cat to the muffler. Meineke just bent a straight pipe for the whole length. There was no resonator on it in the first place. Never seen so many cheap exhaust clamps on an exhaust. Still have the original muffler though. Going to replace that with a 2.25" Magnaflow muffler soon

+3 to what everyone has said, find a exhaust shop near your (i'd say do some yelp searches to find best price/quality ratio) and have them do the guessing work with the exhaust you bring them.

Archived