LegacyGT.com

Transmission Problem

Henrock

Hey everyone. Looking for some advice here on what could be wrong or if anyone knows of a good transmission place in CT.

I have a 2005 Legacy GT with about 65K miles and am experiencing some transmission problems. It's an automatic and when I run it in sport mode I'm fine up to 4th gear but when I go to 5th the rpms rev but I don't get any power. Same thing happens in regular drive mode.

Does anyone know of a good transmission place in the Manchester, CT area? I'm willing to go further if there is someone highly recommended. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

IPT does performance rebuilds, if you don't want to go that route there are MUCH cheaper options. Have a shop diagnose the problem and if they deem that they have to pull the transmission and open it, it might be cheaper in the long run for you to buy a used/refurbished/remanufactured automatic transmission. There is a lot of labor cost involved in tearing the unit apart, whereas you can have a whole unit for anywhere between 800-2000 bucks, last I checked on car-part.com

My guess is that a clutch or band gave out. What is the condition of the transmission fluid? Clean or dark? Up to level? Has it ever been changed?

I've gone to a couple of places and the conclusion is the 5th gear is done. Recommendations have been to either swap in a used transmission or rebuild the one I have. I've been quoted from $3500-$4000 and would appreciate any information on someone that could be more affordable in CT. Thanks

Archived