LegacyGT.com

Turbo: Premium vs reg, again

I’ve read a number of threads about premium vs. reg gas but I still have a couple questions. I have a 2008 GT turbo. If I remember looking at past brochures they state that premium gas is recommended but starting with 2008 it states premium is required. I don’t believe the engine specs are different from 2007 to 2008. I don’t believe there should be an issue except a slight loss of power. Comments?

I have also seen some threads on getting better gas mileage with premium. Is there any hard data or experiences on this? Thanks.

I’ve read a number of threads about premium vs. reg gas but I still have a couple questions. I have a 2008 GT turbo. If I remember looking at past brochures they state that premium gas is recommended but starting with 2008 it states premium is required. I don’t believe the engine specs are different from 2007 to 2008. I don’t believe there should be an issue except a slight loss of power. Comments?

I have also seen some threads on getting better gas mileage with premium. Is there any hard data or experiences on this? Thanks.

USE PREMIUM, it gives you more than just power. If you dont wanna pay for premium give me your car and i will de-turbo mine and give it to you. Then we are all happy

If you keep the car out of boost, you could theoretically drive safely on a lower octane of gas. (But if that's the case, why get a GT over a 2.5i?) No guarantees on longevity though.

Otherwise, I would anticipate knock, loss of power/mpg, premature engine failure.

If you are still looking towards doing this, the Cobb AP comes with a low octane map that flashes a safer tune for low octane gas that I'd look into.

When it really comes down to it, that's a whole lot of trouble for a basically brand new car.

read your owner's manual. Marketing brochures are not owner's manuals.

oh, and you are utterly retarded for trying to put regular in your LGT to try and save a few bucks a month.

Qf teh muthafuckin troof!

There is a very pressing issue with using regular vs. premium in turbocharged legacies, wrx's, and Foresters, and that has to do with detonation. You run a lower octane, and you will run into detonation issues. It may not kill your engine right away, but over time it will.

The engine specs are not the reason that they changed from recommended to required, it's because of questions like this that they changed. On Subaru's side, they thought it would be clear that you should run premium at all times unless in an emergency. On the consumer side, some people thought it meant they could run regular if they wanted, whenever they wanted. I'm sure the ensuing warranty claims made them change the language.

Detonation isn't an instant kill event for your engine, it's something that will build up in it over time. Hell, even well-tuned engines running premium can have a bit of detonation now and then. Running regular will make it a daily event.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Time out guys! I am using premium. I started this thread to get some facts and information after having a discussion with some of my co-workers who have turbos on other cars and thier use of prem/reg gas.

Any info on the mileage question?

Archived