LegacyGT.com

Loud wooshing/sucking sound

I have a 2005 LGT. I removed the air silencer a while ago and you could hear a wooshing/sucking sound. It was not loud but you could hear it. Last weekend I started getting a VERY loud similar sound. I can hear it during accelleration above 3000rpm in all gears. There is no noticable loss in power, no check engine light and the car seems to run fine. I cannot hear it if I rev the engine in neutral. Does anybody know what the most likely source of the sound would be? How do I go about tracking it down if I can only hear it while driving around?

I've had the silencer removed on my 05 since Aug of 2004. I think it sounds awesome...

OP You need to watch for signs of the turbo going. Unless a vacuum hose feel off somewhere, when you begin to hear a different sound, it could be the turbo going south.

Mine had the P0011 and P0021 codes, then the turbo began to whine, about a 1000 miles late the turbo began to whistle. I stop driving it and replaced the vf40 with a vf52 and had the banjo filter removed.

You may want to make sure the filter is removed now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've had the silencer removed on my 05 since Aug of 2004. I think it sounds awesome...

OP You need to watch for signs of the turbo going. Unless a vacuum hose feel off somewhere, when you begin to hear a different sound, it could be the turbo going south.

Mine had the P0011 and P0021 codes, then the turbo began to whine, about a 1000 miles late the turbo began to whistle. I stop driving it and replaced the vf40 with a vf52 and had the banjo filter removed.

You may want to make sure the filter is removed now.

Yes, anything that changes without you making any changes, means you should try to track down the cause. Similar to the advice i give to folks about gauges. They are relative. If your temp always reads 300 and all of a sudden it reads 315, you may have a problem. The delta is more important than the value displayed.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I have a 2005 LGT. I removed the air silencer a while ago and you could hear a wooshing/sucking sound. It was not loud but you could hear it. Last weekend I started getting a VERY loud similar sound. I can hear it during accelleration above 3000rpm in all gears. There is no noticable loss in power, no check engine light and the car seems to run fine. I cannot hear it if I rev the engine in neutral. Does anybody know what the most likely source of the sound would be? How do I go about tracking it down if I can only hear it while driving around?

How do you NOT know you have a turbo on your car and this "problem" is your TURBO in action:mad::lol:

Sorry as a 2.5i owner I so long for you "problem":rolleyes::lol:

^ boost/load based. turbo related for sure id say.

IMO, put the silencer back on.

EDIT: and +1 to ditching the banjo filter if you havnt already... oh, and change your oil for good measure;)

May be get a can of engine flush from Subaru on run it through before the oil change. The stuff is like $20.00. I normally just use Gunk motor flush for 5 minutes once or twice a year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I know the car has a turbo. The silencer has been off over a year. This sound is new and considerably louder than it was when I first took off the silencer. The banjo bolt filter has been removed. The turbo was replaced not long before I purchased the car and other than a bad starter the car has been very reliable. I am going to put the silencer back on to eliminate that from the equation. Again, no check engine light and no loss of power. The car performs as it always has. I changed the oil two weeks ago.

I know the car has a turbo. The silencer has been off over a year. This sound is new and considerably louder than it was when I first took off the silencer. The banjo bolt filter has been removed. The turbo was replaced not long before I purchased the car and other than a bad starter the car has been very reliable. I am going to put the silencer back on to eliminate that from the equation. Again, no check engine light and no loss of power. The car performs as it always has. I changed the oil two weeks ago.

There we go...more info.

Tighten the bolts at the turbo to TMIC. Be careful, the threads are aluminum.

Mine made the whooshing noise with my K&N. Drove me nuts on my DD so I traded for a stock intake. Now I'm stage 2 and its back. lol. Guess the FMIC just makes things louder all around. This is with the silencer on, too. Just replaced the filter and it did get a bit louder. Its hard to hear over my exhaust though.

Mine made the whooshing noise with my K&N. Drove me nuts on my DD so I traded for a stock intake. Now I'm stage 2 and its back. lol. Guess the FMIC just makes things louder all around. This is with the silencer on, too. Just replaced the filter and it did get a bit louder. Its hard to hear over my exhaust though.

no. it's the fact that the downpipe allows the turbo to flow more out thus taking more in. i still have this stock intake with my process west and 20g and it wooshes like hell and sounds more like an apache helicopter than rushing air due to the compressor blade design

The problem turned out to be the connection from the intercooler to the throttlebody, it had come off at the TB. Found a leaking coolant hose near the turbo also so I was able to take care of that at the same time. I also put the silencer back on while I was at. I suspect the connection that came loose may have been at least partially loose for awhile because the car seems to run better than ever now. I was having stuttering issues during acceleration that were intermittent. That issue seems to be mostly gone as it accelerates much smoother now.

The problem turned out to be the connection from the intercooler to the throttlebody, it had come off at the TB. Found a leaking coolant hose near the turbo also so I was able to take care of that at the same time. I also put the silencer back on while I was at. I suspect the connection that came loose may have been at least partially loose for awhile because the car seems to run better than ever now. I was having stuttering issues during acceleration that were intermittent. That issue seems to be mostly gone as it accelerates much smoother now.

There we go...more info.

Tighten the bolts at the turbo to TMIC. Be careful, the threads are aluminum.

Glad you found it, that was going to be my next guess. I took the easy one first.

Archived