LegacyGT.com

dear Subaru

Thanks for making my cruise control not function with the activation of MIL. That is just stupid. If the car wasn't AWD, turbo and a blast to drive... I would sell it right now. I feel better now. Best regards, ME

You will not find a drive by wire car that doesn't work like that.

Also, SOA doesn't care :lol:

I don't feel better anymore. Do all electronic throttle cars really do that? I'm going to have to research that one.

The local dealer didn't care much either. I don't even want to get into the cause of the MIL.

Does SOJ care? I would guess probably not about a round eye with a flaky cruise control.

I've avoided drive by wire so long...

Good thing it's easy reset by the battery until I get a new oil fill cap...

... don't ask.

Thanks for making my cruise control not function with the activation of MIL. That is just stupid. If the car wasn't AWD, turbo and a blast to drive... I would sell it right now. I feel better now. Best regards, ME

They do it for a reason to begin with. Yes many don't care. I guess it will be something you will have to live with(is that even possible?)

Regards.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

don't run around with a CEL and you won't have this problem?

That would be profound with a period at the end.

a 710 is special order? :confused: How can they not have one laying around?

It's amazing. I thought about cruising the showroom...

they probably do have a spt cap...

Thanks for laughs... blinky, silly, non working cruise control for my lack of awareness of where I left that stinkin oil cap at when I changed the oil this weekend and the check engine light came on and annoyed the shit out of me until I used duct tape for a bandaid until the special order cap gets here tomorrow thingy....

They do it for a reason to begin with. Yes many don't care. I guess it will be something you will have to live with(is that even possible?)

Ok. I give. What's the reason? I can live with it. Until Cobb gets here.

Ok. I give. What's the reason? I can live with it. Until Cobb gets here.

My guess, they do not what the engine to receive constant load the entire time when the CEL is on. Basically a safety feature for the engine.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

@blackfang: I see your point. But by that logic, why even let it rev over x rpm. Toyota does "limp mode" when there is a real problem. In ten years of boostin yota's I have yet to find limp mode. But I've heard of it. But his flashy no worky cc with the light on is a crock when the power is there. Right at me footsy. It's a crock reuse to get you in to have the dealer reset your light. IMO.

@gf2020: That's an entirely different problem that I can not make disappear by disconnecting the negative terminal for a few minutes.

@DarkLegacy: nuh uh

@dudeonacouch: clear as used engine lubricant

First, I'm suprised a missing oil cap caused a CEL. Second, if the CEL was from a misfire or a lean condition, why would you want to continue to drive it? It makes perfect sense to disable CC when there is somethign wrong with the engine.

I once had a reoccuring CEL for high EGT's in the UP. Cause was stage2 and a fried EGT sensor. I had to deal with the CEL and lack of CC while I was on a 500 mile trip. Yes, it sucked... especially since I knew what the cause of the CEL was and that it wasn't really hurting the engine. But that's only cause i knew why the CEL was there. People liek me and you and everyone else on this forum that know how to pull a CEL code and diagnose it account for like 1% of all the Subaru owners out there. Subaru would rather protect the remaining 99% of it customers than cater to the 1% that wouldn't even bring it in to the dealer for repairs anyways.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

First, I'm suprised a missing oil cap caused a CEL.

it's probably oil pressure that caused it. if oil cap isn't there pressure would be wrong, causing a CEL.

todays cars... a loose gas cap causes a CEL. almost anything can cause one anymore, even if there is no real problem a CEL will come on. dumbed down citizenship needs their hand held.

Second, if the CEL was from a misfire or a lean condition, why would you want to continue to drive it? It makes perfect sense to disable CC when there is somethign wrong with the engine.

Exactly. That is why they disable it. They do not want the owner to be applying constant load to the engine for a period of time without the ability to decrease the load.

First, I'm suprised a missing oil cap caused a CEL. Second, if the CEL was from a misfire or a lean condition, why would you want to continue to drive it? It makes perfect sense to disable CC when there is somethign wrong with the engine.

I once had a reoccuring CEL for high EGT's in the UP. Cause was stage2 and a fried EGT sensor. I had to deal with the CEL and lack of CC while I was on a 500 mile trip. Yes, it sucked... especially since I knew what the cause of the CEL was and that it wasn't really hurting the engine. But that's only cause i knew why the CEL was there. People liek me and you and everyone else on this forum that know how to pull a CEL code and diagnose it account for like 1% of all the Subaru owners out there. Subaru would rather protect the remaining 99% of it customers than cater to the 1% that wouldn't even bring it in to the dealer for repairs anyways.

Nope. If the computer is so smart, it can - and does - pull timing. When there is a real problem. Like knock, high egt...etc. That is what will protect the engine. Joe Blow with no cruise control can and still will hold the throttle at all sorts of different loads if the computer lets him. Cruise control has nothing to do with it. Pulled timing via ignition cut, or fuel cut, boost cut and the like via knock sensor, egt, etc. - trumps no cruise control. That's it and it's smart.

I re assert that disabling the cruise control is - stupid. Thanks.

I have no idea how a missing oil cap will throw the code. Maybe voc's through pcv system? Similar to gas cap. It should not have an effect on oil pressure. I don't have any way to read the code currently. Do they have a missing oil cap code? Oil cap replaced and light reset once. No more check engine lights. I'll update if there is.

Don't run around with a CEL and you won't have this problem.

Had to know that was coming. ;)

Aniticpated. And it is profound with a period at the end. Thanks for the keen observation. It was obvious the first time. Always fun.

Exactly. That is why they disable it. They do not want the owner to be applying constant load to the engine for a period of time without the ability to decrease the load.

Stop it. Load can be constant, varied and insane on an engine with or without cruise control. Disable cc = really retarded. Pull timing = ingenious. The subaru uses both methods as well as boost cut and I would expect a limp mode. The MIL on - no cruise control thing is an attempt to make money in the service department. That is the only logical reason. That's what I would do if I owned subaru. Actually, no I wouldn't. Because it is stupid.

Trust me, I know stupid. I lost my oil cap.

Nope. If the computer is so smart, it can - and does - pull timing. When there is a real problem. Like knock, high egt...etc. That is what will protect the engine. Joe Blow with no cruise control can and still will hold the throttle at all sorts of different loads if the computer lets him. Cruise control has nothing to do with it. Pulled timing via ignition cut, or fuel cut, boost cut and the like via knock sensor, egt, etc. - trumps no cruise control. That's it and it's smart.

Who is to say that the knock sensor goes bad, throws the CEL to come on, and can not tell the ecu to pull timing. Meanwhile you are using the cruise control? There is a reason they don't want you to have use of the cc feature during a CEL, so they disabled it. They are smarter than you, so why bicker about what can be done?

Stop it. Load can be constant, varied and insane on an engine with or without cruise control. Disable cc = really retarded. Pull timing = ingenious. The subaru uses both methods as well as boost cut and I would expect a limp mode. The MIL on - no cruise control thing is an attempt to make money in the service department. That is the only logical reason. That's what I would do if I owned subaru. Actually, no I wouldn't. Because it is stupid.

Trust me, I know stupid. I lost my oil cap.

Then why don't you contact 1-800-Subaru3 and ask them how do you apply to become their engineer because you think their designs are stupid and can do better. Oh wait, you are bickering on a forum instead because you lost your oil cap. Scratch that.

Archived