LegacyGT.com

Ouch, TPMS $$$!

rudy

I just dropped ~$195 @ Liberty Subaru (thanks for the deal by the way - discount if you mention the forum) for 4 of these things. Just a heads up to anyone considering two sets of wheels/tires and not wanting to do the black tape mod to disable the dashboard light.

I was considering the ContiSportContact 3's, but I think I'm going to save the $200 the TPMS cost me and go with Azeni's.

Also, I just changed over to 225/45 x 17 on some Rota rims I had for my 2004 STi. I went ahead without adding new TMPS to the older setup. I thought I would have to look at a flashing TMPS error all the time, but it is not really that bad. It normally takes about 50 miles before it flashes the first time, and then it only flashes about once every 10 minutes.

I assumed it would be on for the entire time, like the DRL lite.

The 17inch tires really make the wheel gap noticeable, but they handle well. I was just deciding whether to sell the 17's and pick up some 18 x 8 or 18 x 8.5 for some larger tire sizes. I will probably pick up a different TMPS system, since they have some that are sensitive to .1 lb of pressure, and also show each wheel and the temp for each wheel.

You can remove and remount the TMPS sensors from wheel to wheel. If you want two sets of wheels (summer/winter), you need two sets of sensors.

Also, when remounting, you may need to have Subaru techs recalibrate the system. The Subaru TMPS system does not show which wheel is low, you have to check them all. There are other systems that show you the pressure in each wheel, the temp in each wheel, and allow up to 8 sensors for each car.

Agh, probably returning these. If anyone wants to take them off my hands, let me know. They don't fit the BBS RK's. So, I guess it's running with the light on until I can disable that somehow.

Archived