LegacyGT.com

bout to undergo head gasket replacement on my 94

Well my head gasket finally gave way and ive got a sputtering hole on the right side of the engine. I'm going to attempt to remove the head and replace the gasket with the engine still in the vehicle. The main question is, can it be done that way? I've heard that it can but at just a glance it looks like the bolts might hit the engine compartment as I try to remove them. It's a 94 Legacy station wagon nonturbo with roughly 250,000 miles.

Needing tricks, tips, advice on how to best accomplish this. Any help it appreciated.

• I Donated
the head bolts will hit the frame, so you will at least need to undo the motor mounts and lift the engine up some. Personally I don't feel safe working on an engine that is supported by blocks or hanging from a chain so I would rather just take it all the way out and put it on an engine stand.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

^What he said. It is possible, but I like to go through all the seals while I'm doing HG jobs. Might as well if its out infront of you. Oil seperator plate is a MUST if the engine is pulled. New design and only like $35 at Subaru for the new metal plate and screws.

Just my 0.02.

-Kirby

Archived