LegacyGT.com

same old story about engine ticking.......

now this engine ticking noise that apparently effects 90% of the owners here is driving me crazy! while the car was running i checked for the location of the noise with a long bar and the ticking is louder coming from the front 2 injectors. so im thinking yaaaay just replace injector and prob solved. but i did just that and nothing changed:mad: .

now if this popular sound is normal, dont you think i would hear this from the other 2 injectors also? is there some valve adj needed before my 36,000mi warranty is gone in 2,000 more miles?

oh, and its an 05 gt mt.

love the car, just hate the ticking!

now this engine ticking noise that apparently effects 90% of the owners here is driving me crazy! while the car was running i checked for the location of the noise with a long bar and the ticking is louder coming from the front 2 injectors. so im thinking yaaaay just replace injector and prob solved. but i did just that and nothing changed:mad: .

now if this popular sound is normal, dont you think i would hear this from the other 2 injectors also? is there some valve adj needed before my 36,000mi warranty is gone in 2,000 more miles?

oh, and its an 05 gt mt.

love the car, just hate the ticking!

So what I do know for sure about the ticking:

They all do it, it's normal, and it's not a problem.

What I have been told that I can't confirm (I'm no mechanic/engine designer):

Apparently this comes from a spacer involved in the hydraulic valve lifter design. The use of a spacer is to allow for temperature expansion within the system without adverse effects. The down side of said spacer is that it's not a seamless design, so the spacer has small amounts of room to move during operation and will tick as it does so.

The above could be complete BS, but that's what I was once told.

Lets see, my 86 GL ticked, my 84 GL ticked, my 82 GL ticked like mad, my 06 SE ticks super quietly, but it still has the boxer sound. In fact I don think I have ever heard a running boxer motor that did not have that tick "noise".

Best part of that noise, makes it easy to spot Subaru's.

Alex

Archived