LegacyGT.com

Possible head gasket problem?

Hey guys,

Last Monday, I was sitting in my car in my work's parking lot and noticed the temperature gauge was in the red. I made a 1,000 mile round trip drive a few days before and all was fine during the drive. I took it to a local shop and the owner said he was 90% sure that it was a head gasket problem. He placed a funnel of coolant over the coolant reservoir so that coolant was pooling in the funnel. Bubbles were forming in the coolant, like if you were to blow bubbles through a straw into a soda. The bubbles formed when he stepped on the gas and then randomly afterward. The mechanic said it would be around a $2,500 job. That was the only test performed as I was on my lunch break and had to return to work. I plan on getting a second opinion. Any thoughts? :confused:

Thanks,

Dave

In addition to this, my car still has a strange issue where it stalls out randomly while moving, mainly while slowing down for a stop light. No mechanic has been able to replicate this issue or find any reason why this happens. I know someone on here has had to have experienced this same issue. I don't know if the 2 issues are related, but any insight is appreciated.

if you can, i suggest doing an oil change and sending an oil sample to blackstone labs. worth it. they'll get back to you in a couple days and tell you whats going on for sure.

I have a leak some where in my engine. 267k. mechanic says HG. however, I have no white smoke coming out the back or coolant in my oil.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

if you can, i suggest doing an oil change and sending an oil sample to blackstone labs. worth it. they'll get back to you in a couple days and tell you whats going on for sure.

I have a leak some where in my engine. 267k. mechanic says HG. however, I have no white smoke coming out the back or coolant in my oil.

These motors don't mix coolant and oil when the HG goes, like the previous generations do. The only true (visual) indicator is what the OP described.

Awesome c-lo, thanks! Is their report something that I would take to my mechanic? I've never heard of Blackstone Labs. Do I just do their standard oil test for $25?

Yes, do it. But, be prepared for #ynansb.

$2500 is about right for that job, however, there are a host of other "while you're in there" things that need to be done as well.

Please tell me said mechanic is Subaru-only shop. If not, you need to find one.

These motors don't mix coolant and oil when the HG goes, like the previous generations do. The only true (visual) indicator is what the OP described.

Yes, do it. But, be prepared for #ynansb.

$2500 is about right for that job, however, there are a host of other "while you're in there" things that need to be done as well.

Please tell me said mechanic is Subaru-only shop. If not, you need to find one.

really? did not know that.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Yes, c-lo just like most Honda Civic's.

Bubbles on the coolant is a sure sign, a HC (hydrocarbon) tester will also tell you.

Dave, read my click here link and MrTris's links for the right way to do this the first time.

Read and take notes, make a list.

You might also need to replace the black O-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's with the new larger orange ones. That's a common issue on 05-08's.

BTW, where are you in VT ? I spend a lot of time in Ludlow VT during the winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1 that it is probably a HG leak, given the coolant bubbles. get them hydrocarbon tested to be for sure (shouldn't cost more that $80)

if your subaru mechanic is going to do this, have them do timing belt too, water pump wouldn't hurt either. $2,500 seems high for ONLY a head gasket (to me), but reasonable if they'll throw in TB and WP at that price.

if you do this make sure you get the ARP head studs !!

+1 that it is probably a HG leak, given the coolant bubbles. get them hydrocarbon tested to be for sure (shouldn't cost more that $80)

if your subaru mechanic is going to do this, have them do timing belt too, water pump wouldn't hurt either. $2,500 seems high for ONLY a head gasket (to me), but reasonable if they'll throw in TB and WP at that price.

if you do this make sure you get the ARP head studs !!

Man, you learn fast!

MrTris: Sorry for being out of the loop, but what does the synansb mean? I'm guessing it means I'm screwed. And yes, the car only sees a Subaru specialty mechanic.

Max: I'm up in central VT in the Montpelier area, way away from Ludlow. What brings you to Ludlow?

Am I better off selling and buying a new car?

really? did not know that.

When mine went, I was in denial about it because my coolant rez didn't look like a milkshake. PIA told me that these don't mix them the way the old ones do/did.

So, while you're technically correct, it's not gonna happen that way, in this case. The HGs tend to "blow" during cylinder movement (due to the only semi-closed nature of the block), which, in turn, mis-aligns the gasket to the cylinders, allowing gasses to escape into the water jacket, which causes pressurization of the water jacket, and thus, bubbles, coolant overflow, and high temp reading.

The HGs tend to "blow" during cylinder movement (due to the only semi-closed nature of the block), which, in turn, mis-aligns the gasket to the cylinders, allowing gasses to escape into the water jacket, which causes pressurization of the water jacket, and thus, bubbles, coolant overflow, and high temp reading.

What if it only had a high temp reading one time in the past week?

MrTris: Sorry for being out of the loop, but what does the synansb mean? I'm guessing it means I'm screwed. And yes, the car only sees a Subaru specialty mechanic.

Max: I'm up in central VT in the Montpelier area, way away from Ludlow. What brings you to Ludlow?

Am I better off selling and buying a new car?

Well, "screwed" is kinda putting it lightly. This is gonna cost you alot. At least twice the price of what was quoted for the new HG job. #ynansb means, You Need A New Shortblock.

Basically, if you're over 125k and you plan on keeping the car for the foreseeable future, make the investment now, and replace the motor. Have the turbo replaced/rebuilt, get a catless UP and a new DP and a Cobb AP, and you'll be set for at least another 60k miles. For the price (About $7k, altogether), you'll be hard-pressed to find another turbo AWD car that compares, so, that's why I say, "investment".

Read my Shopping List and (re)build thread, as well as Max Capacity's -- we've both been there and done it and come out the other side for the better, and, with a little help from all of us here at LGT.com, you can, too.

putting my car back together this weekend. never saw bubbles in my coolant. interesting. we'll see....

We ski every weekend at Okemo, that's why Ludlow. Headin up after work for the next 9 day's of Spring skiing. Should be great.

As Tris said, figure out your long term plans. I replaced my SB and now have over 51,000 trouble free miles in the wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had little black specks in my upper cooling tank, preceded by random bursts of white mist from the exhaust preceded by the extremely hot readings on the water temp gauge. 1 head had a good size blowout on the HG and the other side a small one.

All the drama here - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/boxkita-hg-radiator-replacement-233455.html

Archived