LegacyGT.com

Whistler Pro 3600 Remote Radar Detector installation

This is more of a suggestion on how to place the components of the Pro 3600, I did not take pictures of the whole process, but since it is rather straightforward, I think it can be left to individual preferences. If this post is not worthy of the section, please move it to the appropriate one.

The main decision when installing the Pro 3600 is where to put its "heart" - the interface box, since wires for all modules will have to all link to it. My choice was dictated by the choice of location of sensors wire to enter the passenger compartment and that was the passenger side foot-well since that's what Subaru chose for the main wiring harness. The '08 OBXT has nice trim panels separating the wiring under the dashboard from the passenger's feet, so it seemed to be safe enough to place the interface box there. The wires to the radar antenna, laser sensor and thermistor (single cable) were routed through the hole in the bulkhead for the main wiring harness. I used 1/4" convoluted tubing to protect the cable from the heat and mechanical hazards in the engine compartment.

The other wires went to various destinations under the dashboard. I used switched power from the 12V outlet (formerly known as "cigarette lighter plug") to power the interface box. I routed the control panel ("display") wire the same way to the utility tray (formerly known as "ashtray"), see the picture. It fit perfectly (well, with some grinding of the plastic) and is quite stable. I also routed the warning/alert LED up and mounted it right below the center ventilation grille. The voice module (speaker) was routed a little further, on the other side of the center console (see picture).

The mounting of the radar antenna / laser sensor was a little more critical. I also have the Whistler Pro 3450 (the predecessor of the 3600) on my WRX and had to replace (luckily, under warranty) the sensor box as it was damaged by the elements after 4 years of use. You don't want to mount the sensor too low because of increased road debris exposure and because it will pick up less of the radar signals. It also must have good, unobstructed view forward, so it cannot be behind any conductive layers (like chrome paint). I was able to use a bracket hanging from the top rail (where the front grille trim attaches) and mount the sensor such that it had a wide enough, unobstructed view forward. It is installed vertically (not an issue), with the laser window on top, although, IMHO, you only pick up laser after you've been hit, that is, too late, so it isn't that important. The wire is routed out of the way, along the top fender edge. Currently, I have the temperature sensor hanging inside the fender, since I already have an external temperature sensor in the OBXT, but later I could think of a better location to pick up (maybe the intake air?)

My main goal was to have the radar detector completely out of the way, while still fully functional. When the utility tray door is closed, none of its parts are conspicuously showing, yet you still get the audible warnings (highly configurable) and the discreet blinking of the LED (in case the audio is muted).

I should also mentioned that I bought it for $185 - "used" from Amazon Warehouse Deals. The trick is, AWD is usually just customer returns, not actual used parts, so it came in new condition, it just had no standard warranty. However, I have claimed manufacturer warranty (they accept the Amazon invoice) on other such deals before, plus you still have 30-day unconditional warranty. It was ideal for me.

I thought I'd share this experience in case anyone else is considering a quality yet economic radar detector but hates the idea of a brick hanging from the windshield.

Kamen

Console.thumb.jpg.b6f1dcd3ac8d19e241a51ff9b17abe37.jpg

Sensors.thumb.jpg.70c3f4bede84e3cd7b9da94ebbe6e02a.jpg

Wiring.thumb.jpg.eced2e8c0e5f4947b2dcbc78662ef6b8.jpg

Archived