LegacyGT.com

Bad clutch rattle After ACT

AGR-LGT

Hey guys, I have a new ACT Hd and WRX flywheel in my car....Ever since install it makes rattles at lower rpms when on decel

Ive read that some chatter is normal for Aftermakret clutchs of course, but is there anything i can do to quiet it down...I thought i saw someone put a spring on something to solve it...???

Nosie is realyl reuining the interior comfort of the car..

thanks

Brandon

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, I have a new ACT Hd and WRX flywheel in my car....Ever since install it makes rattles at lower rpms when on decel

Ive read that some chatter is normal for Aftermakret clutchs of course, but is there anything i can do to quiet it down...I thought i saw someone put a spring on something to solve it...???

Nosie is realyl reuining the interior comfort of the car..

thanks

Brandon

Thats why the HD version is not a good choice for a daily driver. I am looking for a new clutch right now too

My HD clutch and OEM WRX fly only has slight noise in very low RPM...when you should actually be in another gear. About 6-8 months after install the pitch fork became loose. Could feel and hear it. The shop fixed it. Now after another 6 months I have a rattle/clunky sound when I initially get on and off the gas. It does it in every gear...seems something has loosened up. Can't feel anything through the pedal :confused: (btw...drives ok)

Ah..aftermarket and mods....:rolleyes:

I've got the ACT clutch + LWFW. I'd imagine my gear chatter is a bit worse (chatter in any gear, at any RPM) and I would be interested in a way to calm it down a bit if that's even possible. Have had it on for nearly a year now though and I can pretty well ignore it by now.

My HD clutch and OEM WRX fly only has slight noise in very low RPM...when you should actually be in another gear. About 6-8 months after install the pitch fork became loose. Could feel and hear it. The shop fixed it. Now after another 6 months I have a rattle/clunky sound when I initially get on and off the gas. It does it in every gear...seems something has loosened up. Can't feel anything through the pedal :confused: (btw...drives ok)

Ah..aftermarket and mods....:rolleyes:

:lol: Heat shield came off my turbo. Clutch ok!

• 3 months later...
spec 2+ on for 1500 or so and from the start i had a rattle/chatter decelerating. My tuner assured me its fine and its flywheel chatter. Nothing is wrong it just is what it is. No way to cure it mybe microbalance and reduce a little but it will always be there. The flywheel is a lot thinner, the stock flywheel is dampened to not make noise. So got to live with it or go back to stock is your only option.

• 2 months later...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Why couldn't I have seen this thread 2 weeks ago? I just had an ACT put in. Guess what's noisy now? :(

Primarily happens on very very light decel/accel, and sometimes, but rarely, at idle. It's not so much the volume, but the sound.

Warren

Wow.

I'm running the ACT HD with STi flywheel as well. Certainly there is a little bit of chatter.

Thankfully I'm not experiencing noise that I would categorize as "ruining my interior comfort"

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't categorize it as that bad of a noise, but the type of noise makes me, and others think "something's loose". I'm kind of driving around it by staying on the gas lightly as much as I can, and shifting to neutral to coast to a stop, which is kind of a pete peeve of mine, but I'm left with little choice now.

Or we can all just get louder exhausts or crank the stereo up, both of which also fix the problem...

Warren

Could be that my exhaust is masking the noise, but I honestly haven't had this problem, yet (about 250 miles into break-in of my SB5-HDMM + OEM '06/'07 WRX fly pairing).

Sure, I've got some chatter when I'm not giving it enough gas when starting out, but that's honestly more my problem, in terms of technique, than anything else.

Similarly, I also get rougher-than-supposed-to 1st-to-2nd upshifts and also 3rd-to-2nd heel-and-toe downshifts when I mismatch :redface: , but again, that's honestly more my fault than anything else.....

So far, I'm loving it - it's much more pleasurable (and I'm smoother with it, too), than the OEM clutch and that dual-mass fly. After 4+ years of the LGT, I still couldn't be silky smooth with it, whereas about 50% of the time now, I'm really smooth with the current combo.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived