LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light with Er HC

I got check Engine light came on blinking Cruise and Temp gage to the H with Er HC showing at the odo. I took the car to steven's creek Subaru twice in a week and they tried to read the code but it is all clear since when i arrive there the light went off already. Anyone seen problem like this?

DSC001134.JPG.0504e39c31c52fc5994276dac247921e.JPG

the car is not overheating, don't freak out. just disconnect the two green connectors on under the carpet/glovebox in the passenger footwell

Did that no help still CEL is on. In fact, the cable was disconnected already.

Thanks for the help.

Doesn't the '06 have the built in code reader? if it does, inside the fuse box, reach up and there are 2 white connectors that should have blue tape on them. Take the tape off and with the car turned off, plug them in together. Then with the keyed turned on, press and hold the odomoter trip button, there should be a CEL code displayed where the mileage is. "P0420" for example is the code for the cat...Sorry if I said all this and the '06 doesn't have a reader built in like my '05....Anyway then search on here under "CEL codes" and see what CEL you .have.

This is indicating there is a communications failure on the High Speed Can BUS.

The BIU (Body Intergrated Unit) should have plenty of information stored (codes) so that the dealership can start checking things out.

The temp gauge pinned is a result of the High Speed Can failure and coolant temp could very well be the information that is missing on the High Speed Can Bus.

yes it is a communications failure, no it has nothing to do with coolant temp. i'm trying to remember when i have this happen to me. try flashing back to stock map, unplug everything, then reflash following proceedure. i'll think about what i do wrong when this happens, its something simple i just can't think of it now

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey,

Did a search and found this thread from a couple years ago. I had this same thing happen to me the other day on my way to work. The engine should of still been cold since I just left my house about 3 min before and hadn't got on the highway yet. I got the same exact error code on the trip odometer and the Temp Gauge maxed out but I didn't get a check engine light or any other light. Did this ever get solved completely? I see the TSB but can't really see the outcome of it since we can only see the first page.

By the way I drive a 2006 2.5i.

Thanks for taking the time,

Adam

Archived