LegacyGT.com

grinding driveshaft, HELP!!!

speeddr7

So got permission to get away for a day or 2 from the wife and 3 kids to do some installs on the car. TMIC, 40 18g, dp, headers w/up, etc.

But I believe I ran into a problem from the sti tranny mount. Little tight but looked great on. After everything was done, started her up and everything sounded great,

Let it all break in for about 15 minutes, then let the ebrake down to back out the driveway and there was a grinding sound. First thought it was my breaks, but I didnt touch them today. Shifting also felt very funny. Put the car in first( at least I thought it was first) and it stalled. Tried again got 2 feet and stalled out. WTF. Couldnt get into reverse at all.Finally realized that the shifter linkage was all out of whack. (also put on the shifter bushings), so I had to force it all the way to the left to get into gear.

Start driving and the grinding got worse. Stopped it was gone. Went around the block and it was really bad. But only on the roll.

Maybe it was my new exhaust or a heatshield out of place. Moved it all around and still grinding.Figured it might be the tranny mount. Pulled it off and same shit. Although it did make the shifter come back to normal.

So now the car grinds unbearably and is basically undriveable.

What do you guys think it could be?

Looked under and saw a scuff mark on the driveshaft.:mad:

I just wanna drive my car with all the new mods.

Had to even take the minivan out,:spin: I hate that thing.

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

maybe its too tall and mashing the trans upwards making the driveshaft rub on the body there?

What to tall?

Looks like the driveshaft is higher though. Almost certain its from the tranny mount. I really had to force it up there. But I did bring it back to stoick.

Um.... I just installed the STI tranny mount yesterday night. I have yet to drive the car, but I checked everything for clearance and didn't see any problems.

The STI mount and the Legacy 5MT mount are the same, I confirmed that when I pulled the old one out.

Did it with jack stands and a jack in my garage.

No, I didn't have to move anything around. I jacked up the tranmission a little and pulled the cross member (one going front to back, don't know name) with the mount on it. Put the new mount on a bolted back together.

speeddr7,

If its grinding towards the front of the DS, it could be a heat shield that got bent out of whack?

How much of the shift linkage did you disassemble? No offense, but did you put it back in the correct manner?

Is one of the tranny support crossmembers installed backwards? Could it be raising or lowering the tranny at just enough of an angle to be mucking things up?

Sometimes, taking pictures (especially with digicams) before you start a project helps out with assembly after disassembly...cause installation order can be confusing for some, especially if it starts running late and one is rushing to get it done.

Good luck with correcting it!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I appreciate the help guys!

So lifted the car back up and was looking at where the driveshaft was hitting. It was where the shifter is. I must have pulled out the whole linkage when I was putting in the shifter bushings. Pushed it all back and even put the sti mount back in. What a relief.

Now I am going to drive it.:)

Thanks again guys and this could be closed mods.

Archived