LegacyGT.com

Cigarette outlet max amperage

After starting to use more devices that require a 15A fuse, I've been feeling like our cigarette lighter plug just isn't as useful as it could be since it's limited to 10A. Has anyone inspected the wiring and confirmed that 10A is really the highest safe limit for this circuit?

I would love to use 15A devices in that plug, but obviously don't want to melt down any wiring in the process. I have read that the cigarette plug itself tends to damage pretty easily, so perhaps that could be a weak link.

Thoughts?

Use your accessory plug. It should be a 15A fuse if I'm not mistaken. And yeah, what are you trying to use? Portable air compressor? Mine blows out my fuse from time to time too...

edit: Hmm, just checked manual. Maybe it's not 15A... I don't see a separate fuse for it, so it might be on the same one, doh.

edit2: I see one Fuse 13 with 20A that says "cargo socket" but that might be the one for wagons, not the center console one for sedans. Hmmmmmmm.

edit3: Yeah, from searching, it says that's the fuse. So you should be good for 20A.

Thanks. Yes, the center console fortunately uses a bigger fuse and that is what I tap into for high draw such as air compressors and my inverter. I was just lazy and didn't really feel like unplugging my inverter every time I want to run the compressor.

At the end of the day, no big deal. Maybe one of these days I'll hard wire the inverter if I'm sufficiently motivated.

Archived