LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport & ECUTek Info LOOK HERE FIRST!

SUBE555

Does the AP 2.0 work on all 2.5L turbo models?

Theres a guy with a STi thats local whos selling one... It will work on my 05 leggy?

Would i have to d/l anything from cobb's website or are all maps for all 2.5L models included?

Also, on cobb's website it says that the Ap's preloaded maps are for STOCK intake.. if i have an AVO intake would it run like crap ?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy thread revival!

no, if you are talking about the version 1 accessports (big ones with monochromatic screens) they are transmission and year specific. 05 AP v1 will not work with any 06 LGTs. All the other physical pipes should work fine though

All the APs are (V1 or V2) a hardware device that supports any maps. He most certainly can get the V1 wth the '05 maps, download the '06 maps, blow away the '05 maps on the AP, then load '06. No magic involved.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the newbie question.

Best place to buy AP v2.0?

Do I run into warranty issues if I don't buy it from an authorized Cobb dealer or Cobb themselves? I know that, for example, Beltronics would not honor their warranty unless you bought the radar detector from Circuit City or other authorized dealers. Thus, all Amazon or eBay customers get screwed.

If you unmarry the AP, what happens? It doesn't render it useless, does it? Do you just re-marry it afterwards and all is well?

Sorry for the newbie question.

Best place to buy AP v2.0?

Do I run into warranty issues if I don't buy it from an authorized Cobb dealer or Cobb themselves? I know that, for example, Beltronics would not honor their warranty unless you bought the radar detector from Circuit City or other authorized dealers. Thus, all Amazon or eBay customers get screwed.

If you unmarry the AP, what happens? It doesn't render it useless, does it? Do you just re-marry it afterwards and all is well?

After buying all my COBB brand stuff from COBB I would recommend buying from ANOTHER source. They have lots of good vendors. You can check around here in the vendor tab. Do some shopping around and go with someone who treats you well and has good customer service. I've had good luck from a few. I bought my Borla CBE through a vendor on this site. I got much better response and service than COBB itself. Cobb eventually gets the job done but because of their size and amount of people they deal with they were very slow to respond.

If you buy from Ebay or private party I would be weary. If you get an AP that is still married it will not work for you.

But most of the vendors around here should work fine.

And yes you can marry and re-marry whenever you want.

For example if you ever need to take your car into the dealer I would unmarry befor you leave your car with them.

Often times they will reset or reflash your ECU without mentioning to you. It might not even be related to the service you're getting but they do it just in case your car needs it. :)

Well if you have a married AP it will no longer work unless you send everything back to COBB including your ECU.

But as long as you unmarry and marry all is good!!

Hope that answered all your questions...

have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
I just spent the last hour reading this thread, very informative, finally think I understand everything involved with purchasing accessport, installing and running new maps. I sometimes have to disconnect my battery for my screen to reset every now and then, my main concern was that I would have to reflash everytime I disconnected my battery. But no worries, got the answers I need, thanks guys. I should be buying accessport as soon as I can find a member with an unmarried used one for sale.:)

• 3 weeks later...

ive tried reading all of these pages but have missed some things...

For anyone wondering, I have a LGT 05 with Automatic transmission.

1) what is the diff between AP Ver. 1 and Ver. 2? better maps or just quicker loading times?

2) For stage 1, what is the HP and Torque difference between octane 91 and 93?

3) sorry if this is really dumb, but does the car SOUND different with Stage 1 rather than stock? or does that only occur when you change pipes and other hardware?

4) does Stage 1 help with turbo lag?

Thanks for all of your patience and help.

ive tried reading all of these pages but have missed some things...

For anyone wondering, I have a LGT 05 with Automatic transmission.

1) what is the diff between AP Ver. 1 and Ver. 2? better maps or just quicker loading times?

2) For stage 1, what is the HP and Torque difference between octane 91 and 93?

3) sorry if this is really dumb, but does the car SOUND different with Stage 1 rather than stock? or does that only occur when you change pipes and other hardware?

4) does Stage 1 help with turbo lag?

Thanks for all of your patience and help.

my take:

2) I never had the vehicle dyno'd when I had it, but seat of the pants 93 Stage 1 vastly outshone 91 Stage 1. And although I even had a TDC 93 Stg1 map, I still thought the car was a bit weak. Stage 2 is the cure I guess. Also could have been the EAT holding it back a bit.

4) Not that I could tell that it did (I think a twin turbo setup would do it), but it (the map) seemed to vastly smooth the transition into boost. But it was still there, and after some experience turns into a likeable characteristic. An advantage in slow traffic, actually.

When I unmarried the Cobb, the car still felt like it had decent transition, vs. when I first had it. Maybe I got used to it. Try it out you'll know quick enough. It's really a great car!

• 1 month later...
All the APs are (V1 or V2) a hardware device that supports any maps. He most certainly can get the V1 wth the '05 maps, download the '06 maps, blow away the '05 maps on the AP, then load '06. No magic involved.

I know it's newbies like me who won't let this thread die. But all the same, does this mean that neither the V1 or V2 is MY, model, or tranny specific? Meaning that, provided it is unmarried, I could use an AP bought for say an '04 STI, or even a WRX once I ditch the old maps and load my own?

I know it's newbies like me who won't let this thread die. But all the same, does this mean that neither the V1 or V2 is MY, model, or tranny specific? Meaning that, provided it is unmarried, I could use an AP bought for say an '04 STI, or even a WRX once I ditch the old maps and load my own?

The V1 is MY, model and tranny specific

I BELIEVE the V2 is not.

No mystery: the V2's were advertised from the start to work on ANY Subaru 2.5L engine, provided you loaded the right maps. The only different version is the one for the 2.0L motors.

As suggested, the V1 would need to be sent back to Cobb and reprogrammed before you could use it on a different year/tranny/car. NOT FREE. You'll want to try finding any V2 or a V1 that matches your specific car.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

As long as I'm here, one thing I've never understood with my V2 is how are you supposed to remove a realtime map after you have loaded it? Say for instance that I'm running the Cobb Stage 2 base map with no realtime map. Then I flash the fuel economy map before a roadtrip, and then when I get home I want to go back to just the base map with no realtime map at all. There isn't any "Remove Realtime Map" option on the AP - the only thing you can do is flash to a different realtime map. So how do you simply delete the realtime map altogether?

I know disconnecting the power will do that, but shouldn't be necessary... you wouldn't want to have to do that if you briefly used the valet mode, for instance. So what are you supposed to do? Do you just flash the same base map you are using as the realtime map; will that accomplish the same thing?

(I apologize if this has been asked here before; I didn't check all 20 pages.)

Then run the Cobb StageX RT map...the only way to go without a RT map is to do the battery thing. Running the same RT and BM will solve this issue.

Why dont you want to run a RT map? You should be running both, I havnt look in depth but there is the possibility for info in the RT thats not in the base.

AFAIK, the Cobb base maps are designed to be run without a realtime map: i.e., ALL the tuning parameters are contained in the base map. The only realtime maps they offer are the Valet, Anti-Theft, and Economy Mode maps so if you aren't running one of those three you shouldn't have any realtime map loaded... at least that's my understanding. I could be wrong, but why would you have to load the exact same map as both the base and the realtime?

Here's the list of available maps: they don't have different base and realtime maps for each stage, just one:

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/subaru/new/05LGTMaps.html

But what if I don't want to run ANY realtime map? Just the Cobb base map.

Not possible.....

By using only a BM, you are effectively running the same map for RT. You see certain parameter's are stored in RAM, and the rest in ROM. In Cobb's lingo a Base Map is the ROM, and Real Time is RAM. So even if you pull power, and hard reset the ecu, the AP code will still load up a RT map. Whether it is the same as the base depends on who's map it is.

With Cobb's standard OTS maps, the Stg1 & 2 BM and RT are the same. So if you had been running BM stg2 prior to loading a economy map, then just switch to the Stg2 RT map. IT will be exactly the same as the BM, except you will not lose learned fuel trims, knock correction, etc...

Now this cannot be said for Etunes nor Protunes. Many tuner's choose not to store their intellectual property in it for other's to see. But other times they are forced to use an RT map because there isn't enough space for all the changes they wish to make. This is only a limitation of AP V1, as I understand it, V2 doesn't.

Not possible..... By using only a BM, you are effectively running the same map for RT.

Yeah, I kinda figured that out just now. I unhooked the battery to clear the realtime and then loaded just the Cobb base map. Then when I went to "Show Current Map" it showed the base map as the current map for both base and realtime, even though I didn't load a realtime map. Just wasn't totally sure it was OK to run an identical realtime map over top the base map. Thanks for the replies!

No mystery: the V2's were advertised from the start to work on ANY Subaru 2.5L engine, provided you loaded the right maps. The only different version is the one for the 2.0L motors.

As suggested, the V1 would need to be sent back to Cobb and reprogrammed before you could use it on a different year/tranny/car. NOT FREE. You'll want to try finding any V2 or a V1 that matches your specific car.

Obviously posing the question to one of the Cobb guys will clear it up.

BUT, if you look at the device (V1 in my case) when you are loading maps, you could clear ALL of the maps off of the unit, then load whatever you want.

From what I see, if you unmarry the unit from a vehicle, delete then reload with maps for another vehicle (let's say from an '05 MTX to an '06 ATX) then you could marry it to a new vehicle and load it.

Ron

• 9 months later...

I have been Pro Tuned and am now considering using an AP

1. When I got pro-tuned it overwrote the stock ECU right? Is this a reversible process?

2. Does being pro-tuned before installing an AP affect the AP in any way?

3. After loading an AP am I able to revert back to the pro-tune?