LegacyGT.com

heavy key ring damaging ignition

My mechanic friend saw that I have quite the set of keys on my key ring and mentioned that the weight of all of those keys hanging off of the ignition can actually cause damage to the system over time…has anyone ever heard of this?

Yeah, it's definitely possible. I haven't heard of any lgt specific failures but it's not a good idea to have a bunch of weight hanging off the key when it's in the ignition. The only other thing I have on my car key ring is the fob.

I guess you missed the problem with Chevy's a couple years back. The weight of all those keys would cause the car to shut off while driving. They had some cheap plastic part the wore.

Car key and house key and the fob is all you should have. Oh you have an 08, minus the fob.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had an 98 Accord that this happened to. The car just started shutting off randomly while driving. Once I figured it out, I changed out the ignition switch and put my 2 car keys on a different key ring than my house, parents house, office keys.

• 5 years later...
A large bunch of keys will eventually loosen the ignition lock. The load from the keys looks ridiculous, but day by day, year by year, it loosens the knot, which was not initially designed for such kilograms. At first, the lock will stop "giving" the key; you will have to repeat the operation of pulling out, flicking the "mass" several times. Unfortunately, I also had such a problem. To solve it, I turned to Online Locksmith. I was consulted, explained the process of fixing; online, I want you to want it was cheaper. And I had a little variety in my work; thanks to the master was able to personally fix the lock. Edited by chrystekaib

What a thread to bump!

I've heard of this folklore but I don't think most cars suffer from this issue, and I think it depends on the mounting angle of the ignition. Who knows, but I have a landyard full of key rings and stuff (gotta have a bottle opener handy when you're not at home!) and I've never ruined the ignition in my three old cars I've owned.

What a thread to bump!

I've heard of this folklore but I don't think most cars suffer from this issue, and I think it depends on the mounting angle of the ignition. Who knows, but I have a landyard full of key rings and stuff (gotta have a bottle opener handy when you're not at home!) and I've never ruined the ignition in my three old cars I've owned.

Seatbelts make great bottle openers.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder