LegacyGT.com

P0011, screens taken out long ago

So a long time ago I removed the screens in the banjo bolts. Than, years later, I tossed a rod bearing and had a short block put in. That was 2 years ago and about 20,000 miles ago. The other day I was nearly home and got a CEL. Put the scanner on it when I arrived and it was P0011. So yesterday I pulled the passenger side banjos off the turbo and AVCS to make sure the dealer did not reinstall the screens, but they are still gone.

So barring the typical cause, anyone have any ideas what might have caused the CEL?

What he said ^

What oil are you using ?

I use Mobil1 typically.

Going to delve into this today and see if oil level is a problem. If it is then it is going to be a bigger mystery. Will post back later. Thanks for help.

I use Mobil1 typically.

Going to delve into this today and see if oil level is a problem. If it is then it is going to be a bigger mystery. Will post back later. Thanks for help.

Please tell us your not using their 5w-30...it's been pretty much proven to be one of the worst oils for these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Please tell us your not using their 5w-30...it's been pretty much proven to be one of the worst oils for these cars.

Oli level is good!

Oh boy. I use the 5w-30

So first things first.... Please recommend an oil and I'll switch

Second, let me thicken the plot. I thought this was a separate issue...

I have been chasing a gremlin around on and off for a while. The car runs poorly. Seems like engine control.

One of the issues has been a wicked stumble under 1500 rpm, usually when letting off the throttle and reapplying at 1500 ish... think traffic. I have a few finishing touches that I have been putting off, like the rubber boot that goes to the stock TMIC. It is ripped under the clamp.

So tonight I through the scanner on it to gather some data and I am able to introduce the stumble by reving the engine over 1500 and catching it on the way down. When it stumbles, the STFT maxes out at +25%, Also, the O2 voltage goes over 3, something that seems to happen only during the stumble. Then she stores a P0301 and P0303. If I do it a few times, it throws a CEL. If I clear it and rev up and down without introducing the stumble, no codes. The #1 coil is relatively new and I know the #3 is susceptible to heat from the turbo.

So I have an AVCS code and a misfire of both cylinders on the passenger side. WTF?

Does the short term return to normal or is it always calling for fuel at idle?

The fuel trim seems normal except during the stumble. There is a small positive value at idle, but I understand that is normal 2-3%

Most here use Shell Rotella t6 5w-40 I use Amsoil European 5w-40 year round and their filters. Blackstone Labs will give you a oil sample kit that you can send in and they will tell how your oil after so many miles.

I see your in NJ, check out http://www.AZPinstalls.com Mike and Rey will take great care of your car. Tell them I sent you.

If you need a services of a good Tuner, http://www.tuningalliance.com is the best in the east.

Make sure the coil connectors are clean and tight, they can become loose of time.

If your car has always been on the factory tune, you could have burnt valves or a cracked ring land on the piston.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Most here use Shell Rotella t6 5w-40 I use Amsoil European 5w-40 year round and their filters. Blackstone Labs will give you a oil sample kit that you can send in and they will tell how your oil after so many miles.

I see your in NJ, check out http://www.AZPinstalls.com Mike and Rey will take great care of your car. Tell them I sent you.

If you need a services of a good Tuner, http://www.tuningalliance.com is the best in the east.

Make sure the coil connectors are clean and tight, they can become loose of time.

If your car has always been on the factory tune, you could have burnt valves or a cracked ring land on the piston.

Funny, I LOVE the Rotella T6, use it exclusively in my Yamaha. It looks like I'll be buying it in larger quantities from now on.

Regarding the passenger side issues, what do you think of the OCV theory? I was planning to pull the passenger side valve tomorrow to inspect/clean.

Ok. So I removed and inspected the OCV on the passenger side. Looked ok and operated without resistance, but I cleaned it anyway.

I also had a questionable inter cooler to intake connection at the inter cooler. So I removed the TMIC and the hose came apart. Replaced that.

Results. Car runs stronger, STFT is down and car returns to idle better (sometimes it would hold at 1200 ish). But the 1500 rpm stumble is still there and there is a pending P0011.

But I realized that when I checked the screens the other day I did not remove the banjo behind the passenger head. Duh! Will do that later.

If that seems ok, plan is to crack the OCV banjo to make sure I have oil flow. Then I might focus on intake cam gear. Read the AVCS thread and seems to be a plausible path to take.

Anyone with other suggestions?

Thanks

I think once you remove that filter from the passenger side banjo, you'll be ok.

Oh you have a 09, you'll be the first to have issues with that CEL P0011, its not very common in that year...but wouldn't hurt to check that banjo. It's up top by the turbo inlet.

Archived