LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

Here is the AVO clone that I have. Mechanic says it lined up perfectly. If it includes a downpipe, note that it is catless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Racing-Sports-Exhaust-For-2010-2011-2012-2013-Legacy-GT-2-5L-Turbo-charged-/182237226442?epid=1475767109&hash=item2a6e2f65ca:g:khIAAOSwdzVXqizB&vxp=mtr

Sound clip?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Per your request, here is the video. forgive my son getting his shoes in the video. lol

revs at 3k, 4k, 5k and redline

Thanks! This is 100% the tone I'm looking for, I may send a couple of questions to your inbox later if that's cool

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ok. So, apparently, English Racing installed my Grimspeed EBCS pretty much right next to the headers/turbo and they're not really designed for the amount of heat that's generated there. When HMS couldn't locate an actual boost leak, they disconnected the wastegate signal line and took it for a quick spin. The car builds plenty of boost - 20+ and without pushing the pedal all the way to the floor.

So, I get to come back after they order a new EBCS and then we can finish the tune.

In other news, my disappointment with my English Racing experience grows.

Edited by Ellesedil

HMS wanted to get English involved since they did the previous work, including the purchase and install of the Grimspeed EBCS. If anything, they at least hoped they'd be open to replacing the EBCS since it's originally their part. So far, the evidence seems pretty definitive, and English seems ok with replacing the EBCS at no cost. Of course, they'd prefer to also diagnose things on their own as well and seem genuinely interested in exploring what's wrong.

So, I've got to hand it to HMS and English right now. They're trying to get along and figure out what my issues are so that my car (and thus me) is happy. Frankly, if English can get my car to where it should be at no additional cost since I've already given them a pile of money, I'll be happy as a clam. Things might be a little complicated since HMS had started tuning the car, and I'm currently running something that's essentially a base map.

There's still the fact that English Racing is over an hour's drive from me, while HMS is about 25 minutes, so there's still a lot of incentive to stick with HMS going forward. I haven't made the actual appointments yet, so I'm still considering my options. But I have few ways I could go now, one of which will hopefully be inexpensive. But if English can get the car where it's supposed to, I'll be happy. And my wife has been really supportive and seems completely ok with all of this.

I'm just kidding. She offered to drive my car into the nearest body of water.

Lol, hang in there. But seriously I would stay with HMS, the other guys had a chance to get you straight and they failed...Whats the saying, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..." something like that. I am sure the two shops have some kind of working relationship but it is your car and your money they took without properly installing the ebcs or fixing your original concern.

I hope this gets squared away quickly for the sake of your relationship, lol!

My wife would be livid!

Lol, hang in there. But seriously I would stay with HMS, the other guys had a chance to get you straight and they failed...Whats the saying, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..." something like that. I am sure the two shops have some kind of working relationship but it is your car and your money they took without properly installing the ebcs or fixing your original concern.

I hope this gets squared away quickly for the sake of your relationship, lol!

My wife would be livid!

To be honest, my wife essentially agrees with you. But her opinion is more... succinct.

Ok. So, apparently, English Racing installed my Grimspeed EBCS pretty much right next to the headers/turbo and they're not really designed for the amount of heat that's generated there. When HMS couldn't locate an actual boost leak, they disconnected the wastegate signal line and took it for a quick spin. The car builds plenty of boost - 20+ and without pushing the pedal all the way to the floor.

So, I get to come back after they order a new EBCS and then we can finish the tune.

In other news, my disappointment with my English Racing experience grows.

That's very disheartening that your ebcs is destroyed because English mounted it in a bad spot. Very strange to hear as well because on the Lancer platform I heard nothing but good things about them.

I hope they pay for a replacement. I'll keep in mind that situation when I go to do mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's very disheartening that your ebcs is destroyed because English mounted it in a bad spot. Very strange to hear as well because on the Lancer platform I heard nothing but good things about them.

I hope they pay for a replacement. I'll keep in mind that situation when I go to do mine.

The 5th gen ain't no evo ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

So now I have a car that can actually hit 18 PSI. In fact, peek target boost is actually 19 PSI right now, but so far, it only really gets as high as 18.6 PSI. There was definitely something wrong with that boost controller, and it's going to be interesting to watch this as the temperature drops through fall and into winter.

English did send a new Grimspeed boost controller to HMS, but they sent the wrong one as the plug was different. HMS swapped the plugs and made it work.

My final numbers seem pretty low, but based on talking with the tuner, it seems their Mustang dyno simply measures conservatively (he stated about 18% less than a DynoJet). My final numbers were 238.4 HP @ 5600 RPM and 301.6 ft-lbs torque @ 3407 RPM. The car now makes a lot more torque then before, and it comes earlier. Based on the graphs, it looks like torque peaks at least 800-1100 RPM earlier.

I've attached all of the dyno graphs I have since going stage 2: my current tune (single graph, Mustang dyno), some pulls with missing boost on the English tune (3 graphs, Mustang dyno), and the graph I got after English finished tuning (1 graph, DynoJet, targeting 17 PSI but could never reach it and seemed to bleed more boost as time went on, probably due to the faulty boost controller). If anything, I learned a lot about how different shops go about things and the differences between dynos.

Comparing the last two graphs from the Mustang dyno, it looks like I gained 3% more power and 19% more torque with a fully functional boost controller and a new tune.

715040287_HMSStage2MustangDynoGraph.thumb.jpg.53f095c8feb135a908d6422b7278d259.jpg

519170629_HMSDynoRunsonEnglishTune.thumb.jpg.decf6548249147cde1634fca23e977e0.jpg

20170307_222748.thumb.jpg.42e674ce8a8c44b1263becb19ee7c47f.jpg

Edited by Ellesedil

So all the headache and other problems aside, all said and done with the Nameless Performance Down Pipe are you happy with those numbers?

This is probably longer then you expected because I think there's actually multiple questions here.

Am I happy with 240/300? I kind of expected them to be higher. But if I take my car to a different dyno and get 300/400, then yeah, that'd be pretty nice. But nothing about the car is different between those two sets of numbers, just the dyno and how it calculates things. This would be easier to answer if I had well documented my progress with before and after dyno charts so that I could track the % of power and torque gained between steps, but I didn't.

Am I happy with the Nameless downpipe? Not really, but I'm not necessarily upset with it either. I'm at a point that if I ever have another reason to replace the downpipe in addition to "I just want to", then I'll probably do so. If catted downpipes were less expensive, I may have already pulled the trigger on an Invidia by now. With the divorced pipe not really adding any apparent benefit (and may actually hinder things since the flapper doesn't open very far and it's in the way of a fairly narrow pipe), I'd much prefer to have a bellmouth design and the entire exhaust flowing through a catalytic converter. Right now, the thing I'm more upset about going with stage 2 is my turbo housing, which after porting appeared to add 1 PSI of boost.

Am I happy with my car? I'm fairly content for now. I need to drive it more in order to notice how it behaves differently and monitor things while the ECU does it's learning thing. Right now, the differences between last week and yesterday are subtle, and most of my gains were torque and I'm not launching my car. At this point, if my car drives without breaking until I'm ready to upgrade more things, I'll be happy.

Thanks for your insight. I haven't officially scheduled it but I plan on getting my protune next month. I'm optimistic but also trying to curb my expectations. I admire your perseverance through the whole thing though. Simple jobs that turn into nightmares are the worst. But hey, it's done!

My second round of tuning hasn't been yielding much improvement besides tempering some feedback knock and hopefully making my heads less prone to lift.

I think my next mod is a front mount, in fact no question it will be. I am watching some local sales boards and eyeing some kits on ebay.

So, the past two mornings have been in the upper 50's/lower 60's. Once the car warms up, but before the intercooler starts to heatsoak, I've spiked to 20.6 PSI both mornings.

I'm going to continue to keep an eye on things, but it's looking like I might still have some boost creep concerns. During tuning, the tuner did mention he was having a little difficulty controlling boost.

We talked a lot about boost control and boost creep over the last few weeks (I've been there 4 times in 3 weeks), to the point we started contemplating some potential solutions to potential problems. HMS seems pretty confident they could easily add some EWGs to the stock header. At this point, that might actually be the cheapest option... or I let HMS take another crack at porting my turbo since English really only smoothed some surfaces and enlarged the wastegate hole.

I'd start with porting the exhaust housing, that seems to be a pretty solid solution that generally seems like it works. If I remember correctly, I think someone said the stock exhaust manifold is made up of two concentric layers of some pretty thin piping, which puts you back to that "look for a welder who spends his free time TIG welding beer cans together end-to-end" comment I made the other day in some other thread.

...unless of course you're hoping they'll render your stock manifold useless so you can justify upgrading to an aftermarket manifold. Enabling them to enable you?