LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

Guest turboman
I have followed the threads on the clutch stink. Picked up my car 2 days ago and it's got a bad case. The demonstrator I drove was fine with no stink so apparently it's not every car. I'd bet that is why that car was used as a demo. Saleman said it takes about 800 miles for it to go away. I'm aware of the hydraulic delay valve in the clutch plumbing and the reasons for it. Are '03+ WRXs having this problem? Is it going to call for a unpublicized replacement like on the WRX clutches (for cold chatter). Should we (are we) demanding a fix? :mad:

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine only stunk for about 3-400 miles or so.. Havent noticed it since. I figured it was just me relearning how to drive this car smoothly after being without a 5spd for a year beforehand. And alot of it I thought was actually that protectant they spray on everything in the engine bay and exhaust burning off. All I know is my car only stunk for like 400 miles then no more. Cant say for sure what the smell was though.

[quote name='wunderkind']Could it be due to the anti-corrosion undercarriage spray? I know when i took delivery of my old 2.5rs, it smelled funny after each drive. mfg do that as the car is transported by a ship.[/QUOTE] Legacys are built in Indiana. I dont think this is the case. My clutch doesn't stink anymore. 2800 miles on the car now. I did make it stink a few weeks ago but that was from a dead stop take off up a very steep hill. That was all my fault riding the clutch to avoid stalling the car in traffic.:redface:

[quote name='Opie']Are you following break-in? It will stop once everything is broke in...unless you like doing high rpm launches...then it won't go away until your clutch does. :D[/QUOTE] Not true at all Opie. I thought mine went away (I have 2200 miles), but it came back Saturday night driving in DC in bumper to bumper traffic where there is constant clutch work involved.

ALL the clutches will stink. Roll down the windows, back up an incline with a little clutch slippage, stop, repeat. Breath in smell. In normal driving you won't encounter this because the car is moving forward and away from the smell, if there is any. I think Subaru used that clutch material with built in stink, so they could tell if a car was being abused. Once you smell it you don't want to do that again. Never had a car that would smell like this before and I think it is a BAD business decision on the part of Subaru.

650 miles here, clutch occasionally smells - only in stop'n'go traffic, uphill. But all this talk here made me a bit more aware of the clutch slip, so much so that I stalled it twice. There is a point of engagement, when it doesn't matter the gas pedal goes through the fire wall - the engine will not rev up. I've no doubt it's an operator error (although the clutches of my other, inferior German cars never did this). Dragos

[quote name='gtguy']Mine only stinks when I've overdone it on the bean burritos, and apply a bit too much force to the pedal. "Vrooom!" "Ooops! Pardon me." Kevin[/QUOTE] Kevin, Why are you applying bean burritos to your clutch? Is this some new performance mod? :lol:

Archived