LegacyGT.com

Is This Guy Crazy?

chemicalbreeze

I have been looking for an 05ish LGT with a manual transmission for a long time. I came across this one recently and wanted to know what you think. I'm in Canada so kms and Canadian dollars. Here is the ad;

Selling my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon with 227K. Need a car that is slightly smaller so it fits in our garage. Would love to keep this toy forever but unfortunately don't want to be parking this down the street every day.

Details:

Manual 5-speed transmission, 2.5L 4 cyl turbocharged 250HP engine, AWD, fully loaded with AC, PW, PM, PDL, ABS, dual digital auto climate controls, 6CD indash CD changer, keyless door opener, heated seats, heated mirrors, etc etc. It is really a high end car for not a high end price.

New shocks, front caliper, both rear bearings, new clutch/pressure plate/flywheel with the new clutch bearings and all, new MAF, and probably a few more things that I am forgetting now.

Needs nothing. Will be sold certified and emission tested. Currently rides on Dunlop winter tires that are ready to take on another winter.

Asking $11500.00 and pretty firm on that. I know what I have and know that it's priced within reason for what it is.

Only partial trade I am willing to accept is a 1998-2002 Honda Accord; not interested in any other trades.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww216/sloanthebone/63386jg_20.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww216/sloanthebone/9819bd9_20.jpg

Here are my concerns;

-Price seems really high

-Kilometers are really high (almost 40,000 kms/year)

-Looks like it was used for a work vehicle

-Looks like it was used to tow

-Sounds like it was driven on winter tires all year

-No interior pictures

What do you think would be a reasonable asking price/offer?

Thanks for looking.

Size wise is the Accord that much smaller ?

At 141,000 miles I don't think that's a bad price. Mine has 146,000 miles and runs great with the new vf52.

There are a few others here that have more miles and the car still runs great.

I would think 11,000 would be a fair price, it's not like you can offer him $9,000 or even 10,000.

The only thing you need to know is the maintenance history about oil changes and listen to the turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the input Max, the Subies really hold their value!

It is a hard sell for me because of the trailer hitch and the Renovations sticker. How much extra wear on the trans, suspension and brakes would hauling a trailer for most of the cars life be? Has anyone on here regularly pulled a trailer?

The LGT with a Standard Transmission is really hard to find in Ontario.

I doubt it was loaded to the brim or pulled a heavy trailer (just look at that weenie hitch). Looks like it was pulling a 4x6 or 4x8 harbor freight style trailer with some tools. Thats a lightweight renovation vehicle at best owned by the kind of guy that has heavy loads delivered.

Just my 2c from working as a designer. Its certainly easy enough to see if the suspension is blown out: Sit on the rear bumper. Does it just flop about or is it still stiff? If stiff, its either been replaced (more than once) or has not been subjected to huge hitch weights.

Take a good look at the brakes as that type of trailer does not usually have brakes or at best has surge brakes.

You actually found a 5mt wagon. Thats what up. Buy it. Fit and enjoy!

Maintenance is the biggest factor when buying a higher mileage Subaru. At 140K miles est it should have had the timing belt done and the 120K service. Make sure oil changes were done on time and the major services were done.

The hitch and and sticker and easily removed unless the hitch was welded. The trans should be smooth to engage and during a test drive it would be easy to tell if the syncros were shot. Things like struts and brakes might need to be done no matter what the car was used for at that mileage. So factor that into your purchase. Overall the car looks clean and might just need some minor maintenance and good detail. Like Max said, higher mileage Subarus can run extremely well if properly maintained.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

+1. Buy that sucker if you're determined to get a manual transmission wagon!

I would wager this is still a safer proposition than buying a heavily modified car. The only real way to find out is to check maintenance records as others have already mentioned.

That's why they have banks....it's called a car loan.

In fact HAMMERDOWN uses his wagon to tow with. He has something like 175,000 miles and just went stage 2.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's why they have banks....it's called a car loan.
A ton of folks can't do loans. Self-employed, bad credit record, variable income folks, and more will not get loans (unless you are stupid and pay for a 15%+ loan). You should not assume anything. True they exist...but one size doesn't fit all.

^^ Since he is in Canada I would guess its actually 227K KM which is 140K miles est

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

The LGT with a Standard Transmission is really hard to find.

5MT LGT Wagons are very rare. 227,000 km is ok as long as car was maintained. Owner says clutch was replaced, get paperwork that proves it. Check engine for leaks and at this age/mileage expect to replace the turbo which will be the biggest expense. Suspension/brakes - check , these are somewhat inexpensive to replace.

Running on winter tires year-long is fine (I've done it). At least you'll know car was not raced :)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I think the mileage is too high. If you are going to keep the car for a few years, by the end of that time it will be close to the 300k mark.

I would rather spend some more $$$ on a newer vehicle.

http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-autos-et-camions-2006-Subaru-Legacy-2-5GT-Familiale-W0QQAdIdZ317110371

Wow, for an extra $5,000 you get 140,000 less kilometers! Too bad its 600 kms away, but it does change my interest in the reno wagon. If I keep looking the right one will eventually show up... I hope. I will still test drive it this weekend. Anyone live in the Rosemere area of Quebec and want to take a look at this wagon?

• Mega Users
I don't think the price is bad for 140k miles. But he is on drugs for thinking the accord is smaller than the legacy. My girlfriend has one, and its MUCH bigger than my legacy:lol:
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Wow, for an extra $5,000 you get 140,000 less kilometers! Too bad its 600 kms away, but it does change my interest in the reno wagon. If I keep looking the right one will eventually show up... I hope. I will still test drive it this weekend. Anyone live in the Rosemere area of Quebec and want to take a look at this wagon?
I would still drive there - if you look at 4-5 cars in a day, it may be well worth it.

5MT LGT Wagons are very rare. 227,000 km is ok as long as car was maintained. Owner says clutch was replaced, get paperwork that proves it. Check engine for leaks and at this age/mileage expect to replace the turbo which will be the biggest expense. Suspension/brakes - check , these are somewhat inexpensive to replace.

Running on winter tires year-long is fine (I've done it). At least you'll know car was not raced :)

At that distance I would believe that - at least after a test drive to see that it doesn't slip. Not slipping means that it would either have been driven by someone transporting eggs for a living or it is replaced.

453747.png

Chemical, I was in the same boat when looking for my Spec B, I ended up going to Montreal to find mine!! :D

As for the wagon in question, I guess it's more on the budget, as the Quebec one seems to be a more interesting car. Not to say this one isn't good but the high mileage is a concern, now and if you ever sell it.

Also if you post up on the TSC, there are a few guys on there that have the ability to find cars for you! :D

Might also hit up Montreal Subaru Club, maybe someone on there will check out that wagon for you! :)

Archived