LegacyGT.com

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT - 95K, $12K

Ninja Nemo

Hey everybody. After my S4 tanked on me I decided that I wanted a less high maintenance car with better capacity, all while keeping AWD. Based on the positive things I had heard from friends, family and the internets, I decided to go with a Legacy / Outback.

As my requirements are that it is manual tranny, a wagon and under $14,000, it has been extremely difficult to find the car I am looking for. However, after weeks of searching, I found a beauty on Carmax which I am having transferred to CA from Florida. The stats are:

2.5GT Wagon

5 speed

95K miles

$11,998

Carmax will bring the car to CA spec for emissions, perform an oil change, and ensure it is ok for sale. I understand that this is slightly above bluebook, however based on my autotrader, carmax, craigslist, and other searches, this is about par for a Subaru Legacy in San Diego. The carmax report checked out clean w/ no accidents, car has an almost perfect exterior, and interior is nice as well. It appears to be fully stock.

What should I look for when I test drive the car and what potential costs should I be concerned with? From my research, it looks like turbo, belts, and clutch? Anything specific I should look for?

Also, it doesn't seem like they have maintenance records... would Subaru have these if I called with a VIN?

Lastly, what would you guys do?

Thanks!

Actually I'm in Southern California. I like AWD for the safety aspect but I also am an avid snowboarder and make weekly trips up to the mountains in the winter. We get "chain conditions" at least 3 weeks per season and ice patches are often present. My S4's AWD was a life saver multiple times and prevented the need to throw chains on (w/ some nice M+S tires). Based on what I've heard, Subaru's AWD is almost on the same level as Audi's quattro so I'm hoping it will work well for me.

Archived