LegacyGT.com

Oil to use

So I just rebuilt my motor and got two hundred miles and turbo decided to let go. Didn't do any damage or so it seems so far. Ordered new turbo and updating the oil control valves since these tend to malfunction. Also changing out the oil lines to braided stainless steel and getting rid of the banjo bolt filters to eliminate the risk of those filters clogging and reducing oil movement to turbo.

What I want to know is what oil is everyone running?

I have been running Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30 but I know there's a lot of people out there saying Mobil 1 is the reason their car blew up.

A lot of people say this is because of low zinc amounts in Mobil 1 that acts as a filming agent for lubricating.

So what's everyone else using?

I'm living in the hudson Valley area if New York so also what weight does everyone else think I should be using??

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just rebuilt my motor and got two hundred miles and turbo decided to let go. Didn't do any damage or so it seems so far. Ordered new turbo and updating the oil control valves since these tend to malfunction. Also changing out the oil lines to braided stainless steel and getting rid of the banjo bolt filters to eliminate the risk of those filters clogging and reducing oil movement to turbo.

What I want to know is what oil is everyone running?

I have been running Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30 but I know there's a lot of people out there saying Mobil 1 is the reason their car blew up.

A lot of people say this is because of low zinc amounts in Mobil 1 that acts as a filming agent for lubricating.

So what's everyone else using?

I'm living in the hudson Valley area if New York so also what weight does everyone else think I should be using??

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No people don't use M1 in turbo's or high heat applications because it's thin for a 5w30 to start with and quickly becomes a 5w20. With the heat of the turbo you can make it water pretty quickly

It's not bad oil for other applications. I've run a TL to 140K on 15K oil changes on their M1 EP formula and their 0w40 M1 Euro formula used in the GTR can take the heat of a turbo.

That said Walmart has Rotella T6 for $21-23 5 qt jug that works out very nicely. Don't be concerned it's made for diesel, that just means it'll handle the heat of the turbo better. Enjoy.

Side note. I hope you didn't break your motor in on M1. You should be running a dyno oil for the first 1,500-2,000 miles. I'd suggest you run a dyno oil for the first 500 miles. Drive the car hard on a break in tune. Change oil/filter at 500 miles, get on a custom tune and run dyno for another 1,500 miles. Then switch to syn oil. Syn oil is so slick it can stop the rings from seating properly.

No people don't use M1 in turbo's or high heat applications because it's thin for a 5w30 to start with and quickly becomes a 5w20. With the heat of the turbo you can make it water pretty quickly

It's not bad oil for other applications. I've run a TL to 140K on 15K oil changes on their M1 EP formula and their 0w40 M1 Euro formula used in the GTR can take the heat of a turbo.

That said Walmart has Rotella T6 for $21-23 5 qt jug that works out very nicely. Don't be concerned it's made for diesel, that just means it'll handle the heat of the turbo better. Enjoy.

Side note. I hope you didn't break your motor in on M1. You should be running a dyno oil for the first 1,500-2,000 miles. I'd suggest you run a dyno oil for the first 500 miles. Drive the car hard on a break in tune. Change oil/filter at 500 miles, get on a custom tune and run dyno for another 1,500 miles. Then switch to syn oil. Syn oil is so slick it can stop the rings from seating properly.

Sorry. I didn't clarify in my original post. But I only rebuilt the top end of the motor. I didn't do anything but clean the pistons. I didn't do rings or anything like that. Just did all of the gaskets, head studs and etc. I ran Cam2 oil for the two hundred miles that I and the car back up and running until my turbo blew.

But I ordered a 16g turbo from BNR

I ordered infamous performance oil line kit

And I also ordered a new intercooler.

So i'm waiting for all of those parts to come in.

The reason I'm asking about the oil is because I am going to flush the entire oil system to make sure everything is completely out of it. Even though the entire system was just completely cleaned i'm worried what could have gotten in there with the turbo failure.

So I want to make sure i'm running the best thing possible for the car and continue to run that.

So I know I have heard Rotella T6 but is there anything else that people are standing by.

Just want to get some different options and be able to look at them

I went through something similar to you. Upgrading to the BNR 16G I also went with an invidia downpipe and a catless uppipe. Just do a search on my name and you can view several threads I started because it ended up being a lot more than originally thought - like many emergency things that was not a planned upgrade, had to get into ACVS replacement, lots of hoses & misc little parts. Might help too from getting hammered for not using the search function first. ;) FWIW I also read the entire sticky on oil. It's long. It's very educational. I finally decided on Rotella T6 & my local tuner was very happy with my choice. FYI for a long time before my turbo self destructed I ran Valvoline full synthetic. I burned a quart or two between oil changes. Don't have many miles on the new set up yet, but hope I won't be burning as much

Archived