LegacyGT.com

Correct sequence to re-installing engine to Auto transmissioned Legacy?

Okay, I'm stumped again. How do you attach the engine to the automatic transaxle with the bottom studs in place and the engine mounts bolted to the block. Do you remove the studs, drop the engine with mounts down into the cross member holes and then attach the flex-plate to the torque converter and then insert the studs through the bell housing and then into the block?

The transaxle is rigidly mounted so I can't easily raise it up.

Hmmmmm

Tom

• I Donated

Put a floor jack under the trans. You will NEVER get everything lined up because when you take out theengine, the trans falls a bit onto the subframe.

Basically....floorjack on the trans pan to lift it up (use a block of woodbetween pan and jack)....do bellhousing bolts...then do torque converter to flexplate.

You mighthave to undo the trans mount to do this though

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

first read up and make sure the torque converter is fully seated or you will kill your trans. search '''torqueconverter''.

unbolt one end of the ''dog bone'' on top of the trans at the fire wall.

jack up the trans, be sure not to dent the pan or you will have trans issues.

lower the engine, angle the engine and slide it in.

because the trans is tilted up you will have to lower, slide, lower, slide.

i have learned to bolt them together before i lower the trans & engine back down. if you lower the engine onto the cross member/ motor mounts too early the bolts will not line up with the holes. i have had to re-lift a couple of engines to get them right. better to bolt it up and then lower.

I read up on the torque convert setback and so I measured the distance between flex plate and edge of block and also from the torque converter mounting tab surface to the tranny edge, and they were the same.

Unbolting the engine mounts from the block was a mistake, since you can't get the dang things bolted back to the block very easily. Ended up raising the engine (after it was bolted securely to the transaxle) to be able to squeeze in there.

Rotated the engine till the first hole in the flex plate lined up with the first mounting tab hole on the converter (that I had pre-positioned so that it would be in the middle of the access hole) and installed the first bolt. Rotated engine 90 degrees and repeat, repeat and repeat.

The two bottom studs of the engine block to transaxle joint were also a bitch to get back in.

I'm learning.

Tom

• I Donated
Every Subaru I've done has been difficult to get the engine and trans lined up right. Actually, come to think of it I think the only easy one I've ever done was older Chevy trucks.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived