LegacyGT.com

Time for a full motor swap?

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help, and input, I appreciate it.

Let me give you some background about what is going on with the car. I have a 2007 Legacy 2.5i. It has 178k on it. About 5k miles ago it smoking when I would start it(not just in the morning), and when I would take off from a stop light, big clouds of smoke. It does not appear to smoke when I am going down the road, but I could be wrong. Two days ago when I was driving home it died when I came to a stop, and was very hard to start again. I checked compression today, and I found the following results.

Cylinder 1, 90psi

Cylinder 2,3,4 120psi

I also found a bunch of oil the plug and boots for cylinders 4, and 2, but I have heard that this is normal on the subs, is that correct?

So I guess my questions would be, what is the compression supposed to be? Is there some things I should check before I just get a new long block? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Update on this. I did another compression test, and got differnt readings. I think the battery was too low the first time around. Here are the new results.

Cylinder 1, 145-150psi

Cylinder 2, 150-155psi

Cylinder 3, 150-155psi

Cylinder 4, 150-155psi

I am thikning I should probably do a leak down test next, but I am still wondering where all of that oil loss is comming from.

Are you sure it's oil you are burning? What color is it? Is there an oily residue in the tailpipe? Is the level low? The oil on the outside of the plugs and boots is common due to leaky valve cover gaskets, but that oil does not burn in the combustion chamber. How is your coolant level?

Archived