LegacyGT.com

bleed clutch hydraulics ?

I faithfully bleed/replace my brake fluid every year or two - a task made much easier by speedbleeders (one way valves that replace the regular bleeder valves on the slave brake cyclinders).

I was wondering if people ever worry about doing the same thing to the clutch hydraulic system ?

You could bleed your clutch and may possibly get better feel but I doubt it would be noticeable. The clutch fluid doesn't see the same heat that the brake fluid does in the calipers. I usually just wait until I need a clutch replaced or some other item in the clutch hydraulics need servicing.

I didn't really think it'd help the feel. Just that it'd be a good and simple preventative measure. I believe the idea of changing brake fluid is that it absorbs water, which causes rust in the system.

The water causing rust is not the main concern, the bigger thing is it decreases the hydraulic fluids capacity to hold pressure. Repeated heat cycles and boiling of the brake fluid from overheating is what invites moisture into the braking system. You don't get that same intense heat in the clutch hydraulics. If you want to do it, do it for piece of mind.

Archived