LegacyGT.com

Strange sound, maybe brake related?

My wife's 05 LGT wagon is making a strange noise. It sounds almost like a flat tire on the passenger front (that's what she thought it was when it started). It doesn't make a sound when the car is standing still, only when moving. It doesn't seem to vary significantly with speed. It gets louder with turns and ceases completely if the brakes are even slightly depressed.

We had the brakes replaced last week and normally I'd just take it back to them to take a look at it, but she's out of town with it. She's going to have someone at a shop take a look at it, but there is a good chance the mechanic she's taking it to has never worked on a Subie before.

Any ideas what it is?

could be wheel bearing or maybe the spring adjuster for the shoes.

I had to adjust my spring to get my old rotors off and set it too high when I put my new ones on. Had to loosen up so there wasn't any noise.

You can also adjust them by going in reverse and forward over and over again. There's a thread on here that describes the process.

I'll tell her to give that a shot. The other piece of information I have is that it is quiet if the car is cold. The sound cropped up after an hour or two on the highway. After parking for a while it took a few minutes before it started again. After sitting overnight it didn't come back during a short drive (5 - 10 minutes or so). Any more ideas. It doesn't seem like a wheel bearing, but I could be wrong about that.

• 1 year later...

Archived