LegacyGT.com

Clutch replacement 6MT?

Throttlejockey

Any suggestions for a clutch replacement that will feel close to the same as stock? I'm running stage2 but don't beat the car, my wife drives it 80% of the time so I would like to with the stock feel so I don't hear complaints from her about pedal feel too stiff.

Only got about 47K miles out of the OEM clutch, doesn't seem like very good life to me.

I did a lot of reading but still not sure. Not looking to spend big $$ if possible.

Here's an EXEDY STI clutch kit. Any input?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-FJK1000-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B57M3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1303562334&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: EXEDY FJK1000 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit: Automotive[/ame]

Edit- Just checked EXEDY's site and they list the FJK1002 clutch kit for the Specb trans?

I believe the spec.b clutch is smaller than the sti. That holds true for the disk and flywheel. so if you want to run an sti disk, well you get point. I'm not sure if anyone has actually confirmed this, but I did an sti swap just to be sure. Unfortunately, I had a shop do the work, and didn't get any measurements on the flywheel before they put it in.

if you're running a strong stg2 tune, you'll need an upgraded clutch. I'm running the oem sti clutch w/ 300 wtq measured on a mustang without issue. My tuner said the oem sti could hold 350-400 wtq.

lol

Ya I swapped flywheel and pressure plate. The pressure plate is definitely stiffer than the spec.bs. I bought the sti pressure plate and flywheel from unclemat.

Its one of those situations where, nobody is 100% sure, and you don't want to start a job and have the wrong parts.

lol

That's why I'm trying to figure everything out before. Especially since I'm have GTTuner do the work.

Weird thing is I was having clutch slippage at boost in 5th and 6th gear and now it isn't doing it any more.:confused:

It could've been glazed from overheating or a couple of hard launches. When mine first started slipping it did it in 5th gear on a hot day after some spirited shifts. It didn't slip again for several weeks but eventually it would slip every time in 6th at 3k rpm and full throttle. Then same thing in 5th... then 4th... then... lol.

lol

To pitch on the clutch disk/flywheel difference between the STI and Spec B.

When I was doing my swap, I had purchased a lightly used Spec B clutch/flywheel assembly off an 08 Spec B.

Now my car was a late 06 production 07 Spec B and that's when they had just started putting in 6spd in to the LGTs.

Comparing the size of my clutch assembly to the 08 Spec B's, mine definitely had a larger engagement area, and if I remember it also took more bolts to secure.

So I am thinking that in the early production 07 Spec B's they were still putting the STI clutches, and only later started to make one specifically for the Spec B's.

Thanks for the input guys. Still not slipping but I don't drive the car much. Funny thing is I hadn't done any launches leading up to the slipping. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it and wait for it to slip again.

Valerka- I guess when I do order a clutch I will get the STi flywheel so there's no surprises.

I was looking for an upgraded clutch kit for my 08 Spec B that would allow me to use the stock flywheel about 6 months ago. I didn't end up finding one. It seemed there was an ACT specific for the Spec B but it was mentioned by someone else that it didn't work.

I ended up going with an ACTHD and ACT Streetlight FW just to make sure everything fit/worked together.

I didn't really want the LWFW, and may end up changing this out again at some point. If so I will likely use an OEM STI fw and clutch or minor clutch upgrade that works with the STI fw.

I was looking for an upgraded clutch kit for my 08 Spec B that would allow me to use the stock flywheel about 6 months ago. I didn't end up finding one. It seemed there was an ACT specific for the Spec B but it was mentioned by someone else that it didn't work.

I ended up going with an ACTHD and ACT Streetlight FW just to make sure everything fit/worked together.

I didn't really want the LWFW, and may end up changing this out again at some point. If so I will likely use an OEM STI fw and clutch or minor clutch upgrade that works with the STI fw.

So you don't like the LWFW? How do you like the ACTHD?

While I don't hate it, and I've had some success with tweaking requested torque to make it easier to drive, it's still not as nice as it was to drive stock. The smaller flywheel also allows for a bit more transmission noise as well.

The clutch itself seems pretty strong. I've not had it slip at all yet but I'm only stg2 power. Engagement can be a bit harsh and it shudders now and then but I've mostly gotten used to it.

Had I to do it over again I would possibly go with this clutch, but I would definitely opt for a heavier flywheel if you've got a daily driven car. I think the biggest benefit to the LWFW is noticed in 1st/2nd gear wot.

Ideally I would like to put my stock flywheel back in, with a mildly upgraded clutch. Most likely what I will do next time (if there is a next time), is get an OEM STi flywheel and either an OEM STi clutch kit or mildly upgraded STi clutch.Having already done this job, and having a currently strong clutch I suppose I'm going to live with my current setup for the foreseeable future.

Here is what I was wanting to get:

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/ACT-Heavy-Duty-Street-Clutch-LGT-Spec-B.html

This should be an upgraded clutch kit that works with the OEM Spec B flywheel, but in another thread here, someone got this kit and said it very clearly didn't fit his 07+ Spec B. I was worried about getting this all apart and not having the right parts which led me to getting both new Act pieces in STi fitment.

I'm using an exedy LWFW with a clutchmasters fx300, both are the STI models.

Dropped right in, holds 400whp/tq with no problems and feels soft like stock. It was the same price as the fx100 and fx200, so I said I might as well just get the 300.

• 1 month later...
Could you tell a difference with the feel of the Exedy LWFW?

Any more reviews/opinions on LWFWs? I'm ordering a clutch for my BNR68 powered daily today or tomorrow. If I can get a rush on shipping, I can get it installed this weekend. I'm leaning toward the ACT HDSS and Streetlight FW combo because I don't have access to an OEM STi flywheel.

Everyone I've talked to locally says stick with the OEM FW and the online reviews seem to be mixed. I loved the LWFW on my old EG Civic, but the Legacy is a much heavier car.

I ended up ordering a new STi flywheel with the STi ACT HDSS clutch kit. The STi is lighter than the OEM spec.B, so it should be a nice upgrade without any of the negative side effects. Now, here's hoping I can get it done myself this weekend. I've been warned that I should leave this job to the pros.

I ended up ordering a new STi flywheel with the STi ACT HDSS clutch kit. The STi is lighter than the OEM spec.B, so it should be a nice upgrade without any of the negative side effects. Now, here's hoping I can get it done myself this weekend. I've been warned that I should leave this job to the pros.

Very anxious to hear how it feels as this is probably the flywheel I should have used. I used that clutch kit with a matching ACT lwfw..

Let us know if you get any deceleration noise with the ACT on your 6 speed.

I had it terrible on my 5 speed, and its common on the ACT clutches.

With that said I am doing a 08 STI 6 speed swap in a few weeks and I am doing the STI flywheel, and a Clutchmasters FX300.

I drove a friend of mines wagon with the spec b 6 speed and the clutchmaster FX300. The clutch pedal is EASY if not EASIER than stock and there is pretty much no noise at all.

Should be perfect for when my wife drives it although she never complained about the ACT in my 5 speed and it had a pretty stiff pedal.

It was the Street disc and pressure plate.

Very anxious to hear how it feels as this is probably the flywheel I should have used. I used that clutch kit with a matching ACT lwfw..

3 days in (only about 12 hours total so far) and I just got the pressure plate bolted back up. I've read that now comes the hard part (because it wasn't hard enough already) of bolting the trans back to the engine. So far, I've done it all by myself, but I do have a reluctant wife if I really need any help.

I'm posting now because I wanted to commend on the flywheel. Both the one I just pulled out and the OEM STi one weighed 19 lbs. I bought the car with 29k miles, so I assume it was still on the stock flywheel and clutch, but both of them were in very good shape (just not good enough for a BNR68 on e85). I've read on here that the stock spec.B 6mt flywheels are well over 20 lbs., so I don't know if they changed the 08s to 19 lbs. or if someone put an STi flywheel in my car prior to me owning the car.

Not sure if it means anything or not but there was no thread lock on the fw or pp bolts and the trans was fused to the engine requiring a putty knife then chisel and finally a pry bar to remove, so I'd say there is a decent possibility it hadn't been opened up in the 61k of the cars life.

I've got my OEM flywheel handy from my 08 and just weighed it again. I'm coming in around 24-25lbs. This is using a bathroom scale so its not a perfect measurement.

Good luck with the rest of the install! Still want to hear how it feels, sounds etc..

Archived