LegacyGT.com

Does anyone have any information about a recent recall on the 5 speed automatic transmission electronic control module? In case it's model specific, I have an '05 OB 3.0R.

I got a call from the dealership today and set an appointment for Thursday. Unfortunately the caller woke me up, and I was too sleepy to think to ask for the recall number. :redface:

Hopefully the fix will result in improved gas mileage :rolleyes:

It affects Subaru Outback H6 powered cars with the 5EAT transmission only, it is a TCM reflash, takes about 25 minutes to perform.

"Affected vehicles are equipped with an electronically controlled automatic transmission with "Sport" and "Manual" mode features. The "Manual" mode feature allows the driver to manually select the desired transmission gear. The current software logic will not automatically shift the transmission out of the manually selected gear, regardless of engine or vehicle speed, until the driver manually selects a new gear. This may result in the engine operating near over-reving speed which could cause the engine oil to overheat. Continued operation of the vehicle under these conditions may cause engine damage."

Recall # is: WWV-06

It affects Subaru Outback H6 powered cars with the 5EAT transmission only, it is a TCM reflash, takes about 25 minutes to perform.

"The "Manual" mode feature allows the driver to manually select the desired transmission gear. The current software logic will not automatically shift the transmission out of the manually selected gear, regardless of engine or vehicle speed, until the driver manually selects a new gear."

This is a good thing, gives better control during spirited driving.

This is a good thing, gives better control during spirited driving.

Good for those that know better maybe...but it's a bad thing for the average driver who puts it in Sportshift and then over-revs it because they think it will shift on it's own.

So, how would that be any different from the 5EAT mated to the turbo engines? Or, another way to ask is why does this recall affect only H6 models?

I thought it was one of the benefits of the 5EAT -- the ability to hold revs in manual mode.

Ken

"Affected vehicles are equipped with an electronically controlled automatic transmission with "Sport" and "Manual" mode features. The "Manual" mode feature allows the driver to manually select the desired transmission gear. The current software logic will not automatically shift the transmission out of the manually selected gear, regardless of engine or vehicle speed, until the driver manually selects a new gear. This may result in the engine operating near over-reving speed which could cause the engine oil to overheat. Continued operation of the vehicle under these conditions may cause engine damage."

Recall # is: WWV-06

Hmmm...I'd noticed when first driving the car in manual mode that the car will hold a gear longer than I would have expected before over-riding my control and shifting. It surprised me that Subaru would not intervene to save me from my own stupidity--now maybe they are.

Thanks for the informative response!

So, how would that be any different from the 5EAT mated to the turbo engines? Or, another way to ask is why does this recall affect only H6 models?

I thought it was one of the benefits of the 5EAT -- the ability to hold revs in manual mode.

Ken

I have this "problem" with my LGT, my guess on why the recall dosent affect the LGT is because the differance in the driver type. I think the driver that the 3.0r caters to is the avrage driver that doesn't care about performance and doesn't want a 6 cylinder because they think a 4 cylinder is pointles.

The turbo models cater more to the performance crowd and i guess it was planed that way. Also they could have gotten complaints or many repairs beacause of drivers that hit it by accident and ride first or second till 60mph.

No offence twords you 3.0r guys but there are alot of people like what I mentioned and they make you guys look bad and get your transmission grounded :lol:

No offence twords you 3.0r guys but there are alot of people like what I mentioned and they make you guys look bad and get your transmission grounded :lol:

I'm not offended, but then I know how to drive.

Maybe Subaru should implement a more aggressive occupant protection system for GT/XT owners, with more/bigger airbags and stronger bumpers. No offense. :D

Maybe Subaru should implement a more aggressive occupant protection system for GT/XT owners, with more/bigger airbags and stronger bumpers. No offense. :D

that would be very nice! similar prices but better protections! :)

This Space For Rent

I'm not offended, but then I know how to drive.

That was funny as hell :lol:

For all the ones that can't drive

0h n0e5 1 h4v3 2 sh1f7 1n m4nu4l m0d3 1 d1dn'7 kn0w 4nd my 7r4nsm15510n 15 m3l73d!

aggressive because we can. ;):D

:lol:

I guess I got the aggressive driving tendencies out of my system over the last seven years in Germany, especially with the car I traded in on this Subaru--a 2004 Volvo S60 R 6MT. Just as few expect aggressive driving from a Subaru (non WRX) driver, they really don't expect it from some guy in a Volvo. :eek: But with 300 hp and 298 lb ft, it was very satisfying driving on the Autobahn.

Back in the States, I decided that discretion--and keeping my driver's license--was the better part of valor.

Plus, living where I live, I really can use the additional four inches or so of ground clearance.

I had the WWV06 recall work done today. I can't say as I notice any difference in the way the transmission behaves, but then again I have not had the car long and never did wind up the engine to stupid rpm levels before.

It took 30 minutes to complete the work.

Archived