LegacyGT.com

preferred oil for an 03 3.0 H6

i recently picked up an 03 outback with the H6 3.0 in it. without completely knowing what oil (synthetic or regular) has been used in the past what's the preferred oil for these engines. do they tend to favor one brand over the other.

the engine currently has 96k on it. on the previous outback and legacy i was running castrol gtx high mileage.

I don't know that they prefer any particular oil. I'd lean towards a name brand in the correct grade and API rating. I don't think there's anything wrong with using Castrol GTX, everyone seems to have a favorite oil.

As far as my own Subarus, I've run Mobil 1, Mobil Super 5000, and Pennzoil Platinum. The Legacy iSE seems to do well with the Pennzoil, so that's what I'm running for now.

If you want to find lengthy discussions, check the forums on bobistheoilguy.com.

• 3 weeks later...

i picked it up after july 4th and they changed the oil before hand so i got a little ways to go before i have to do it.. may just go ahead and do it when i swap the snow tires on so i'm not doing it in the middle of winter with snow dripping off the front end.

what's the verdict on royal purple.. i got cases of it from my other car.. it's the 5w30 variety. i didn't notice any leakage other than the drain plug so should i switch to synthetic with 96k on the engine.

This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Thems is fightin' words! I challenge you to a funnel fight. 10W30 has fewer polymers to achieve its viscosity span than 5W30 because the base oil is thicker to begin with. The 5Wxx oils are a tradeoff that allows a lower viscosity oil to be used which helps starting when the engine is very cold. In a Boston summer, its not very cold so you don't need it. You're better off with the thicker base oil as thicker always lubricates better - think gear oil here which is typically an 80 weight oil.

Thems is fightin' words! I challenge you to a funnel fight. 10W30 has fewer polymers to achieve its viscosity span than 5W30 because the base oil is thicker to begin with. The 5Wxx oils are a tradeoff that allows a lower viscosity oil to be used which helps starting when the engine is very cold. In a Boston summer, its not very cold so you don't need it. You're better off with the thicker base oil as thicker always lubricates better - think gear oil here which is typically an 80 weight oil.

For an engine and bearing layout like we have, oil should be as thin as possible, yet thick enough to protect. It's all about clearance and flow. In this instance, with bearing clearances designed for a 5W30 oil, there is no need for a thicker oil, no matter how hot it is in Boston. Furthermore, in a multiweight xWxx oil, it's only the first "x" when it's at ambient temperature. At operating temperature, it's at "xx"...which in our discussion is the same. Cold starting(meaning below operating temperature) is where the majority of wear occurs, and that brings us back to clearance issues and what the motor is designed for. 5W30.

In theory that all sounds plausible. But I have to put some faith in the manual of my Subie where it says 10W30 is recommended for summer and 20W50 for extreme high temperatures. That tells me that there's plenty of clearance in this engine. If what you say is true, then you should be touting 0W30 oil, no? FWIW, a lot of the guys around here run 15W40 in their Subies and swear by it so I'm *pretty* sure I'm alright with 10W30. :)

Archived