LegacyGT.com

Ticketed For Illegal Tint in MA.

Bretm1

FYI- Got nailed today by MA Trooper for second time this month. First time I was in a dealer loaner with no inspection sticker and today I got pulled over on rt 195 in Dartmouth (in my car) for having illegal tint on all of the back windows. I was fined 250 dollars for five windows (they count the little rear "vent" windows).

My fronts were ok with the light meter. They read a 40 on the meter when the max is 35. The rear read 15. I will be removing the tint soon.

Be careful.

s5.jpg.263f3a3013924b34533fbc95ce5b7f0e.jpg

This is not my beautiful car.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 is lighter than 35. Maybe I'm not understanding you right. Anyways, sorry. Hope it dont happen to me
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

prob read 18% b/c of the slight tint the windows already have. then again, I dunno. I got 20% all around on mine. No tix yet knock wood. I still dont understand what Bretm1 is talking about fully. Or, I dont understand how these meters work.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Coxx,

once again you are right. the tint that is built into the window is around 5-10%.

the meters are a black or yellow box with a slit in the middle that is slide over the window. it sends a beam of light through the window and tests the resistance.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/images/M100b.jpg

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

This is why if I do anything it will probably only be 50%.

The standard 35% plus factory tint isn't worth the headache :(

Wish there was something inbetween that with the meter read closer to 35

you run into a problem with the preexisting factory tint, though as minute as it may be, it will give off a lower reading when tested. i.e, NH law is 35%. I would have to get 45% or 50%

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

yeah dude...your tints are pretty dark.. I do think it's a stupid law, but it's there to protect cops when they're approaching a vehicle. If you can't see inside at all, you don't know if someone is pulling out a knife or gun or something. That is why I just went the legal way because I really don't like being harrased by the police. I have 35% in front and 20% all around...dark enough IMO.

yeah dude...your tints are pretty dark.. I do think it's a stupid law, but it's there to protect cops when they're approaching a vehicle. If you can't see inside at all, you don't know if someone is pulling out a knife or gun or something. That is why I just went the legal way because I really don't like being harrased by the police. I have 35% in front and 20% all around...dark enough IMO.

Ah, good point, but explain suv's tints then? Btw, usually on a car stop, law enforcement personal usually ask the driver to lower all the windows and turn on the interior lights. Folks if you do have tint and get pull over do this anyway. :)

Ah, good point, but explain suv's tints then? Btw, usually on a car stop, law enforcement personal usually ask the driver to lower all the windows and turn on the interior lights. Folks if you do have tint and get pull over do this anyway. :)

...how they gonna ask the driver that while they are walking from their car to the suspects?? SUV tints are factory done and within the legal limits of the states that allow tint. Only the two front ones have to be no more then 35%...well atleast in NY.

...how they gonna ask the driver that while they are walking from their car to the suspects?? SUV tints are factory done and within the legal limits of the states that allow tint. Only the two front ones have to be no more then 35%...well atleast in NY.

Dude, PA system, they are in the all law enforcement vehicles. I not saying all Cops are smart, but safe one usually use the PA to tell the driver to lower its windows.

40 is lighter than 35. Maybe I'm not understanding you right. Anyways, sorry. Hope it dont happen to me

I may have it wrong. She(Trooper) showed me the front reading as she slid it on the window on the drivers door. If I recall correctly the meter said 40 and she said that is marginal, and she wont dock me. She mentioned that many tint installers (I think Bulldog mentioned this) do not take into consideration the windows that are already tinted.

I did not see the reading on the back, as you can see from my picture it is darker, so I imagine it must have read below35 not above.

i thought you could go as dark as you wanted on the rear window, but the sides had to be no more than 35% (in MA)

is the rear window thing wrong? i had 35% all around, and 20% on the rear window in my last car, and i was preparing to go the same route on the LGT. the 20% rear makes the side windows seem darker.

dR

[edit]

according to this link, it's 35% all around in MA. i'm not sure how current this is, but i suppose they don't change the tint laws too often...

Such BS, cops should go spend some more time in the doughnut shop or actually going after real criminals.

Put yourself in the cops shoes for a minute. If you had to walk up to a car when you couldn't see how many occupants were in the car or what they were donig, how would you feel about that?

Maybe state police cruisers should have warning labels:

WARNING: if you have really dark tinted windows in Massachusetts [which is far from the equator and not all that hot or sunny] we think you are more likely to be a criminal. So we're going to treat you like one because I have three young kids and a wife at home.

But if you think the donut jokes are funny, please do tell some to the next LEO you have a chat with.

There are good cops, poor cops, and average cops, but they are routinely called upon to risk their lives on our behalf. So they deserve at least that level of respect.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

i thought you could go as dark as you wanted on the rear window, but the sides had to be no more than 35% (in MA)

is the rear window thing wrong? i had 35% all around, and 20% on the rear window in my last car, and i was preparing to go the same route on the LGT. the 20% rear makes the side windows seem darker.

dR

[edit]

according to this link, it's 35% all around in MA. i'm not sure how current this is, but i suppose they don't change the tint laws too often...

Yup, mass has been 35% all the way around for a while now.

Do most tint shops even have a meter to test this with, you'd think if a customer walked in and said, "go as dark as you can leagally go" and they toss on 35% on top of the factory tint that the customer would have a right to be quite irrate if they are ticketed.

That being said, I'll probably just stick with 50%

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

Mass (verified by bulldogs link) does not allow more than 35% on any window. Certain occupations (I know private detective is one) can get waivers from the state.

Outside of that it's a gamble. I drove since last december '04(I'm just a civilian) with this tint setup. Whenever I am stopped I roll down all of the windows at least halfway, put my dome light(s) on and put my hands on the top of the wheel. I do this regardless of whether my windows are tinted or what vehicle I'm in.

Same gamble applies to no front plate, and other tints (headlights etc).

I also got "let go" for not having an updated address on my license, which is a 35 dollar fine. Many states have teams of state police (like the 55 team in mass) who's primary purpose is to be on the look out for all of this safety/inspection type stuff.

Once you are pulled over, all bets are off. I suggest absolutely no confrontation or adversity whatsoever. Look them in the eye and be nice. Take your ticket and deal with it later. I also do not suggest dropping names of all of your cop buddies that you know. If you know someone call them later (not while you are pulled over). You have to throw your ego out the window.

50% tint is pointless to me. thats like clear. Why spend the money. I know if I get pulled over I can technically be ticketed for my tints & taillight overlays. I've been fortunate enough that it hasnt happened. If it happens, I'll pay the fine as long as it's no points & go on. I hate not having tints. I do roll down the windows a little when I see cops though.

Archived