LegacyGT.com

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S "silent recall"

stanjk3

Was googling these tires and found on an Acura forum there's a "silent recall."

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721408

It's not a safety recall, it's due to the numerous complaints about cupping and/or excessive road noise.

If you bought them at Tirerack, you should be able to get them replaced with another set or Eagle GTs for free. You do have to pay for the shipping and installation, but they credit you up to $100. As for other retailers, YMMV.

I emailed Goodyear last night, got a call from them today. Since I bought my car used with these tires and don't know where they were bought, my only option is to take the car to a Goodyear retailer and have them inspected.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No kidding???? Wow, maybe there was something to all those bad reviews with complaints of "noise" and "strange wear" after all.

Maybe the "rebirth" of Goodyear as a premier, cutting-edge technology performance tire company was a little premature. These kinds of complaints sure sound alot like the "old Goodyear" which has kept many past buyers from going there again.

Seems to me the problems people are complaining about which led to this recall could've been easily identified up front had Goodyear bothered logging some miles on its own tires prior to releasing them to the public.

Tim

• 1 month later...
Was googling these tires and found on an Acura forum there's a "silent recall."

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721408

It's not a safety recall, it's due to the numerous complaints about cupping and/or excessive road noise.

If you bought them at Tirerack, you should be able to get them replaced with another set or Eagle GTs for free. You do have to pay for the shipping and installation, but they credit you up to $100. As for other retailers, YMMV.

I emailed Goodyear last night, got a call from them today. Since I bought my car used with these tires and don't know where they were bought, my only option is to take the car to a Goodyear retailer and have them inspected.

Anything special to mention to the Goodyear shop to get them to jump on this? I bought 4, had them installed and roadforce balanced back in 12/07. Going to have them looked at tomorrow.

Sitting in the goodyear shop now. They want to inspect the tires. Guy said they may have to tear them down. Of course when I asked about other people having issues, he hadn't had any.

From what I was told from a tirerack representative, if you bought these from tirerack, you are given replacements with no questions asked. Either Goodyears, Dunlops or Kelly (all made by goodyear). And they give you $100 for mounting on top.

Anything special to mention to the Goodyear shop to get them to jump on this? I bought 4, had them installed and roadforce balanced back in 12/07. Going to have them looked at tomorrow.

I called the 2 closest Goodyear shops and neither of them knew anything about the recall. Got the typical - 'We haven't had any problems blah blah...'

When I took my car to a Goodyear shop back in Feb to have the roadforce balance done, they said it wasn't worth it. They pointed out the cupping as the cause of the noise. Didn't mention anything about recall or replacement, but at least they did a free rotation.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Well, I'm getting 4 new tires at no cost. You can get anything from Goodyear, Dunlop or Kelly that fits. I'm going with the Dunlop Sport SP Signature. However, they want me to pay for mounting and balancing and road hazard. I paid $106 to have the F1 tires roadforce balanced and had the road hazard warranty for another $63.

Going to call Goodyear Customer Service on Monday. If I had bought these from TireRack they would not have needed to be inspected at all (I waited 2 1/2 hours) and TireRack is giving the customer $100 bucks to have them mounted/balanced.

Mine have 30k on them. I bought them in 9/07. I havnt had any cupping but i have had uneven wear and I have always rotated them as well. I think all of the round abouts out hear have caused it. I'm probally outside of the manufactures tread depth difference but i cant afford new tires so ill have to roll the dice.

mine have even wear with no cupping but they are on the loud side. you know an all season tire is loud when 3 year old max performance summer tires are quiet in comparison. i'll have to call tire rack and get the low down. the cool thing is I bought them on sale and goodyear processed my $50 rebate twice! maybe i'll come out ahead on this deal...

I am so glad I stumbled on this thread. I have the F1 A/S and I have the same exact things going. The tires started getting really noisy and I was getting this constant steering wheel vibration that I could not figure out what the source was -- alignment, balance, bushings etc. all checked out. The only tell tale sign was that the tire shop noticed I was getting feathering in the tread.

I've got a call with Goodyear and have set myself up with a case#.

For those of you that did get a replacement through Goodyear, which model did you go with?

I got the same tires.

When i called the rack today they said the tire has been redesigned to reduce noise. When you return through them they replace them with the new design, so hopefully the new design is better.

I got mine in Nov in 245/40/18. I have no complaints as far as noise so far, but felt the inside edges today while swapping them off and there's clearly feathering. Since they went on when the car was brand new (pulled off summer tires since it was winter), it's clearly a defect and not alignment, etc. I did get them from Tire Rack so I might have that conversation with them this week.

I would be interested in knowing what Goodyear did to tweak the F1 A/S.

If the offer was to swap out with tires of equal or lesser value, unfortunately most of the other A/S tires offered by Goodyear/Dunlop would be of lesser value.

I'm still pursuing the replacement (need to take it into a Goodyear dealer), but I'm debating if I would stick with the F1 A/S or move down to the GTs. I don't see any Dunlops that interest me in that range.

I hadn't heard of any redesign to reduce noise. They are loud, but I could live with it. The real issue is the cupping, feathering and flat spotting. Did they fix that in the redesign?

That's what the tire rack told me when i called. I told the straight up that mine are pretty much brand new (~3000 miles) with normal wear but that they are very loud. The lady told me they were redesigned to be quieter and I could pay to have them returned for a new set.

Archived