LegacyGT.com

FXT v. LGT v. LGT Spec.B

Enjoi

I am currently in the market for a new car, and will be purchasing one this summer. I initially had a list of cars I was looking at, but ruled most of them out for reasons such as no AWD, long turn radius, or not practical for what I would like to do with the car. One of my options was an M3, so I registered on a BMW forum where I received a lot of good advice. In short, my list consisted of the following: M3, S4, STi, Evo, S60 R, Z06, and 03/4 Cobra. I ruled out the RWD vehicles first, mainly because I do a lot of snowboarding in the backcountry of Colorado and snow is a common occurrence. Next, I ruled out the S4 because of maintenance and the Evo because it doesn't appeal to me visually. The last car to rule out was the S60 R because it's turn radius is worse than some trucks. This left me with the STi.

I thought I was set on the STi or STi Limited, but was told it does not have 60/40 folding rear seats. For me, this was a huge issue because I do not want my stuff on a roof rack if it could theoretically fit in the cabin. Insurance and the stigma with owning one also made me less inclined to count this a viable alternative. After this, I began looking at the full Subaru lineup. My brother just bought a new 2007 Forester and I was fairly impressed with it. Soon enough, I had come to find out that the Forester comes in a turbo'ed/IC'ed model. I added this to my list, but something caught my eye: the LGT.

My main question to you Legacy owners is, what are the main differences between the LGT and the Spec B? I know it has upgraded suspension and touch screen navi, but is this all? Also, how does each car stack up to the FXT. I know the Forester is more of an SUV than a car, but it does have the WRX-like performance, while still maintaining all the creature comforts an outdoor junkie requires: large cabin/cargo capacity, AWD, etc.

Sorry for the long post, but this decision has been eating me up for sometime now. I know this might be like comparing apples to oranges, but I know at least one person in here has owned/driven both the FXT and the LGT, so there must be a baseline.

Look forward to the responses.

Matt-

what are the main differences between the LGT and the Spec B? I know it has upgraded suspension and touch screen navi, but is this all?

I don't own a FXT or have ever driven one but IIRC this is what 2007 Spec B has over the LGT

6MT (can't get auto with spec B)

18 inch wheels with summer tires

aluminum suspension bits

bilstein shocks

different springs

Navi

VDC

For 2008 I believe that US LGT's will get traction control/VDC but the other differences still reamin the same.

Just from reading the specs the LGT is more of a drivers car when compared to the FXT. However, both have similar acceleration. If I was heavy in to the outdoors thing, had to carry more then one passenger with their equipment, and didn't put a premium on overall driving experinece. I would probably take a close look at the FXT.

I think the interior on the LGTs is way superior to what the FXT and WRX have.

You summed up the primary differences between the Spec.B and the regular GT: suspension, nav, and some dress up bits. The 2007 Spec does also have a very nice 6-spd and a Torsen rear LSD.

It amazes me how much stuff i can fit in my 07 with the seats down - Most things that would fit in the back of my Spec would also require a Forester driver to drop the seats. Your main advantage in cargo space on the FXT would be for carrying very tall items.

I debated between an OBXT and the Spec.B. Having driven both (and preferring a "sharper", sportier feel), I chose the Spec.B.

LGT turbo is bigger than FXT, but same 2.5 engine I think. People have confirmed here that the LGT internals are the same as the STi.

If AT tranny does not bother you, just get the LGT wagon. MT wagons only came out in 05.

07 Spec B have the 6MT, which I think also comes with the bigger R180 diff

Have you looked at the Saab 9-3 sport combi? I think there's no awd option, though. The mazda 6 wagon is good too, or if you want a sedan, the MS6 is good.

The spec B has a better suspension (still not 3-series calibre unfortunately) and is a better handling car. Comes with 18 in wheels on summer tires (excellent tires - the RE 050A).

I'm not a fan of the forrester - poopy handling. It is tall and softly sprung. But the spec B is good. Even the LGT is better than the 9-3 and V70 R, but not by a whole lot. The spec B is pretty good.

The 3xx Xi is good - with awd it is slightly higher but handling is nice. The wagon is a bit small for my tastes, which is why I got the LGT. Check this one out - the lack of power compared to the LGT is made up for in the handling IMO but as I said the wagon is smaller than the LGT.

A big plus for the subaru is the low maintenance costs. If you want a legacy wagon you must get it soon - it's being discontinued. And its only available with an auto =\

i saw a spec b at the dealership wher i bouth my 05 lgt with a 5mt is that because it was a 06

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

having lived in C Springs for 4 years i still remember the winters (and that

sometimes it snows in may :) ) - i think vdc might be important to you...

so, wait for the 08 lineup full details - vdc might* be limited to auto transmition

and specb only... clip is forester sti (japan only, i think)...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5q7qCoZ80]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

I love my friends Outback XT; I have a LGT and he bought his OBXT at the same time. We're both sort of outdoorsy too, but I was only interested (at the time) in the LGT. After driving with him this past weekend down a fire road that my car would not have made it 10ft down (its pretty low and some of the frost heaves/bumps would have had my car dragging)...then getting on the gas once we were on the smoother roads and highway...makes me wish I had looked more at the OBXT. I (personal opinion only here) like the looks of the OBXT much more than the FXT and really wish I had jumped on that.

Wow, thanks for all of the replies thus far.

@Tantal: I considered the Saab series, but AWD is my main driving force behind this purchase. If AWD did not matter, I would not be here asking for advice - I'd be in the dealership signing over for the M.

As for the recommendations on the wagon: if I were to go with a wagon, I'd probably take the Audi over a Subaru. Although the maintenance would be more costly, I'd require something that looks better and has a much more superb interior. That is nothing towards Subaru, but more of a personal preference.

@sirsimon: So the only real difference between the cargo capacity with the seats folded on both cars is the height?

To everyone else, thanks for the insight. Still sitting on the fence, so I guess I will wait to see if anyone else has something to throw at me.

Matt-

The Subaru Outback is the official car of Colorado, no?:icon_wink

I would recommend getting all over the OBXT if you are willing to give up some handling for more rugged utility.

I have a LGT wagon and get up to Whistler all the time but my extended family owns a total of 4 Outbacks of various vintages and they go thru just about anything. My LGT doesn't like uneven dirt roads at all...

I like the OB better than the Forester as they are true wagons and not a breadbox-on-wheels.

My wife's next car later this year will be a 2000 - 02 Outback. They are a great vehicle. That way I can keep my street missle LGT wagon and pack the family up in the OB whenever we will get up to Whistler or the family ranch. Best of both worlds.

Edit- your previous choices in your first post are all very sporty, so you might not even see yourself in a wagon or any kind...:confused:

Are you going to be driving a lot on the highway? The FXT has a taller gear 4:11 IIRC that makes her scream at speed :(

not the 07's

my mom has a brand new one and its not nearly as bad as the older ones i always drove when i worked at the suby dealership

Have you driven the dodge magnum? It's available with AWD with either the 3.5 V6 and the 5.7 V8 packages.

Since you can only get the auto transmission legacy, the magnum is a pretty attractive alternative. did you not like this car?

I think you can also get the Chrysler 300 with AWD. These cars use the powertrain from the mercedes E-class. Should be good performance (I haven't driven them because they aren't available in MT).

Check them out.

Wow, thanks for all of the replies thus far.

@Tantal: I considered the Saab series, but AWD is my main driving force behind this purchase. If AWD did not matter, I would not be here asking for advice - I'd be in the dealership signing over for the M.

As for the recommendations on the wagon: if I were to go with a wagon, I'd probably take the Audi over a Subaru. Although the maintenance would be more costly, I'd require something that looks better and has a much more superb interior. That is nothing towards Subaru, but more of a personal preference.

@sirsimon: So the only real difference between the cargo capacity with the seats folded on both cars is the height?

To everyone else, thanks for the insight. Still sitting on the fence, so I guess I will wait to see if anyone else has something to throw at me.

Matt-

Finally, someone who posts an intelligent 'what should i buy' post actually listing some useful criteria and info.

Anyways, ther other question you didn't answer is: are you looking for an AT or MT car, because the spec B trim is MT only in both 60 and 07 model years. If the 6 spd doesnt matter to you, youre better off saving money and buying an 07+ LGT.

Oh yeah 05 and 06 LGTs as well as the 06 spec B DO NOT COME WITH THE SPLIT REAR FOLIDNG SEATS, which as you stated is clearly a factor in purchasing. this started with all the 07 LGTs.

Ed

My wife has a 07 forester (non turbo) and I have 05 LGT sedan. The Legacy/OB platform is significantly more refined than the forester. Interior is nicer, much better attention to detail. I mean, the forester doens't even have lit vanity mirrors or a light in the dash console....cheap bastards. Forester is louder in road noise and in engine noise. Don't get me wrong, the forester is a pretty nice car, but the Legacy/OB is nicer and the price is close.

That aside, if you drive in unplowed conditions for backcountry access, I would recomend the extra clearance of the OBXT or Forester, more than 4-5 inches of snow could stop a Legacy if you drag bottom. IMO, the OBXT is a sharp looking car, much "cooler" than a forester with a good amount of space (actually signifcantly longer than the forester)

Now my real question for you: If you like BMW's M3 so much and can afford it, I'd go for the 330xi in a heartbeat. It's still a very quick car and the inline 6 is a fantastic mill that is very smooth and drivable. Much smoother than the Legacy. But there is a price tag attached.....

For 2008 I believe that US LGT's will get traction control/VDC but the other differences still reamin the same.

I was browsing www.subaru.com the other day and noticed this listing for the 2007 Spec.B (notice the TCS entry):

Standard Features:

This is the first time I've seen traction control listed as a feature?

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but I have had some other important stuff going on. I am still torn on what I want to get. Lately I have been thinking a lot more about the Legacy. I know this is a tall order to fill, but I just really want something that will seat four, has the capability of packing a few buds and heading to the mountains (with equipment), will be able to get to the mountains, but will still give me a kick in the pants if I go WOT.

I know the Legacy should do all of the above, but question the performance. I, having never driven one, do not know what to expect. If I line up in my 07 LGT against an 2000-1.5 S4, who is going to win? If I really hammer the throttle, what should I expect?

My expectation is to keep this car for awhile, so it needs to be fun to drive once I move away from Colorado. I want to try and make this a little to no regret decision if possible, so when I'm rolling the pavement on PCH, I won't regret buying a junker for the next couple of years then sacking up for the M3.

Anywho, that is all I have for now. I know there isn't much information out, but what should I expect from the 2008 Legacy in comparison to the current Legacy.

Thanks,

Matt-

I, having never driven one, do not know what to expect.

The best (and usually only advice) I can give to a potential car buyer, is to actually go to your local dealership and test drive one. Test drive the other cars you're considering as well, and then compare which has the features/driveability that you're looking for.

I saw the FXT interior about an hour. I laughed.

The FXT interior, while far from award-winning, isn't bad at all. Plus, at least I can add one of these... ;)

http://www.mcnproductions.com/fxt/avicn11.jpg

-Mike-

The LGT will outrun the 00 S4, but the S4 is a very nice car. The ride is better, and the handling is better but the S4 is such a FAT PIG (I think around 3800 lbs) that the better suspension is eliminated as an advantage.

Maintenance on the S4 is pretty expensive.

If you can live with the coarse engine in the subaru you will end up being happier with the car. Find yourself a used, low mileage, non-modded LGT from 05 or 06 (05 if you want the MT wagon - the only one to get IMHO :) ). Then, upgrade the suspension and you will have nearly audi handling, without the weight, and at much lower cost.

figure out what you want, and g/l.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but I have had some other important stuff going on. I am still torn on what I want to get. Lately I have been thinking a lot more about the Legacy. I know this is a tall order to fill, but I just really want something that will seat four, has the capability of packing a few buds and heading to the mountains (with equipment), will be able to get to the mountains, but will still give me a kick in the pants if I go WOT.

I know the Legacy should do all of the above, but question the performance. I, having never driven one, do not know what to expect. If I line up in my 07 LGT against an 2000-1.5 S4, who is going to win? If I really hammer the throttle, what should I expect?

My expectation is to keep this car for awhile, so it needs to be fun to drive once I move away from Colorado. I want to try and make this a little to no regret decision if possible, so when I'm rolling the pavement on PCH, I won't regret buying a junker for the next couple of years then sacking up for the M3.

Anywho, that is all I have for now. I know there isn't much information out, but what should I expect from the 2008 Legacy in comparison to the current Legacy.

Thanks,

Matt-

A big advantage for the FXT is that it shares the same intake manifold as the WRX/STi, and uses the same type of turbo (but not an identical turbo) as the STi, and the same type of top mount intercooler. So, modding the engine will be easier and cheaper with the FXT.

One negative is that, because it is supposed to be a hauler, its gearing is shorter than the LGT, so if you do a lot of highway driving, you'll be revving higher in the FXT than the LGT.

One peeve I have with the FXT is the steering wheel. I'd try to change one out with the LGT or STi if I bought one. But otherwise, I really like the FXT. And sport suspensions from Japan can be had which greatly improve handling without making it look overly dumped (which looks kind of silly with an SUV). Plus, you have a double DIN opening, so your choices of aftermarket ICE are greater than the LGT.

Thanks for the prompt replies yet again! I throw the 00-1.5 S4 into the mix because I have three buddies who own them. One has an 00, the others 01.5's. I have gone out with my buddy in his S4 both before and after he modified it. Yes, the interior dynamics and styling of the S4 are quite nice - but I am willing to sacrifice a few creature comforts/aura of the car for something that is faster. Not to mention, the Legacy (IMHO) is a better looking car anyway.

You recommend going for the 05/6 LGT: I considered it, but the 60/40 is imperative. I am really trying to avoid a roof-rack and thus I need something that will allow me to push a couple pairs of skis and a board through the cargo to the cabin. This is why I tossed the FXT into the mix.

It sounds like each car has its own unique perks, so I guess this will really come down to a test drive. I like the FXT because it is spacious, has nice features, but also can deliver performance. I take a liking to the Legacy because it just looks like a great, fun car.

As always, thanks.

Matt-

60/40 ? huh?

Are you talking about the sedan? If you are cross shopping the FXT, a much less nice car IMO, you should be looking at the LGT wagon. This car is a lot bigger inside, better looking IMO, and a level above the imprezza/forester in refinement - maybe two levels. If you want a MT car, though, you have to find an 05, because that's the only year the MT wagon was available.

If driving dynamics are a concern to you, it would be surprising if you like driving the forester. The LGT wagon is bigger and handles better. Its also IMHO the best looking subaru.

g/l it's your car, you have to be the one that likes it.

Thanks for the prompt replies yet again! I throw the 00-1.5 S4 into the mix because I have three buddies who own them. One has an 00, the others 01.5's. I have gone out with my buddy in his S4 both before and after he modified it. Yes, the interior dynamics and styling of the S4 are quite nice - but I am willing to sacrifice a few creature comforts/aura of the car for something that is faster. Not to mention, the Legacy (IMHO) is a better looking car anyway.

You recommend going for the 05/6 LGT: I considered it, but the 60/40 is imperative. I am really trying to avoid a roof-rack and thus I need something that will allow me to push a couple pairs of skis and a board through the cargo to the cabin. This is why I tossed the FXT into the mix.

It sounds like each car has its own unique perks, so I guess this will really come down to a test drive. I like the FXT because it is spacious, has nice features, but also can deliver performance. I take a liking to the Legacy because it just looks like a great, fun car.

As always, thanks.

Matt-

Archived