LegacyGT.com

Can a Subaru be hacked?

polykid

What do you define as "can it be hacked"? I haven't seen any mention of researchers actively trying to break the Subaru system. Having said that, any internet-connected system can be hacked with enough time/effort (nothing is ever perfectly secure from remote access unless it's not connected to other wireless devices) and researchers were able to hack other makes/models during their initial research, but required physical access to the vehicle to do so.

So, it depends. But if you're looking for a news article somewhere about the Subaru StarLink system being hacked, I don't believe that article exists as researchers are focusing on other makes/models that they believe to be more susceptible to attacks.

Edit: For context, the concerns raised in the OP are a result of this article (which is kinda terrifying): http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Seems that the cars that are really hackable are the ones where they are trying to make the in car entertainment stuff more like a smartphone... the automakers I imagine are going to be learning that intermingling entertainment features and vehicle management functions, while it does let you do some pretty cool stuff, also leaves you pretty vulnerable to attacks like this if you don't plan ahead (the Audi A8 being a good example where they have something similar to a firewall between the two)

Yes it can. Anything can be hacked. 99% of all computer systems have a design setup that was hacked or will be hacked. Hacking reveals its flaw which then get patched, but there is always another way in. You can just hope that it is done by ethical hackers who are doing it to find flaws so they can be fixed, not to cause chaos.

I can guarantee you the Jeep incident isn't the first. But it seems it was done then publicized by people to bring awareness to consumers and manufactures to be aware of it. Hopefully the manufactures start thinking about this security with their design.

Shouldn't be possible with 2015 earlier cars since there's no built in 4G LTE or cellular radio of any kind that could provide remote communications, as that's what was used to hack the Jeep (or any Chrysler with Uconnect for that matter). However for '16, the new Starlink system with 4G through AT&T could have the potential for it.

Subarus have been hacked since they were worth hacking. Lol romraider, ecutek, acessport.

If your worried someone is going to gain control of your car use some common sense and read your manual to see how the systems and features work. You should be just fine. Subies aren't as complicated as the systems people are hacking in other cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't matter if a car can be hack, what matters is if the criticle systems are separated or not.

Some manufactures were smart enough to keep braking, steering, engine management separate from the entertainment systems that need web access.

But when you want to start your car remotely from a web app- that's what you get.

Funny so many people bitch about the lack of all those 'modern' features in a Subaru, whereas it's what attracts me to them.

• 2 weeks later...
All car are able to be hacked and remote accessed but the chances of that happing to you are slim to none.

This is patently false. Most vehicles do not have mobile connectivity, since that particular functionality is only now starting to become widely available. If the car does not connect to a network, it cannot be hacked from a remote location.

Archived