LegacyGT.com

Went from LGT to E36 M3...

So, I haven't been on this forum for a while, since I sold my LGT. I had to downsize a bit, and wanted a car that war more designed for the road. I loved my LGT to death, but I just had an itch for a RWD german car.

About the car.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/bpoolman2003/m3%20rebuild/IMAG0083.jpg

My LGT =(

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/bpoolman2003/large%20wheel%20pics/DSC03287-1.jpg

Its a 98 m3, 5spd with 158k. Picked it up from a kid who moneyshifted and smacked all the valves. I'm into the car with TONS of new parts and a new topend for $6k (incl car cost)

So heres the scoop for all of you who have thought about the M3's. AS far as speed goes, My stock E36 would hang with a STOCK LGT. You can put about $1,200 in bolt ons and get 230-260whp. Doesn't sound like much, but this car delivers the power in a different way. Comes stock with rear LSD.

There is absolutely no comparison in the handling dept. THis thing is on crappy struts with 150k, and it feels like a go-kart. Its scary how well this thing drives/feels. It's hard to explain, but I feel much more connected to this car, than my LGT.

Build quality- I pulled the head off, along with the timing system, intake mani, and cams. I have to say, I'd rather do this on this car over a LGT. Having the motor sit parallel with the car makes everything easier to access. Parts don't cost anymore than the LGT's. I have to say these cars are EXTREMELY well built. manifold flanges are extremely thick, with copper gaskets/studs. Intake mani uses a silicon Oring type of deal, just pull it and it comes right off. The cylinder bore looked brand new, and I was blown away with how good the internals looked/felt with 150k. These s52 motors are said to get over 200k without any major work. The car is really actually pretty easy to work on.

Interior- front seats have plenty of room, (I'm 6'2") and the rears are about the same as the subaru, if not roomier. Remember, this is a 2dr. Quality is MUCH better. The vader seats adjust 6 different ways, and its just more stout. Still get a MPG/temp/timer display, along with al the power goodies.

Overall, this car drives better with 150k, than most cars I've driven with half the mileage. The straight 6 S62 is a super smooth, sweet engine. Its really torquey, and loves to rev. I hope this helps, coming from someone who has been on both sides. I loved my LGT. My only gripe was the engine build quality from subaru. It's nice to have a car that I know has a reputation of going over 200k miles, easily.

I had a '97 M3, you're going to love it even more the more you drive it. You'll also get better gas mileage out of the E36... I was getting 26mpg (heavy footing it)... i only get 22.5 in the subaru. 240hp is stock, which is pretty good... put an intake on it and lose the ASC limiter on the intake (very air intake limiting)... a intake boot from a '95 M3 replaces the ASC crap... Unless you want/need the ASC... when you start spinning, a electro-mechanical butterfly valve will close the air supply to the motor and starve it for air. also that butterfly valve is only about 1.25" diameter...

Also ... I recommend changing the waterpump (metal finned one), thermostat, t-stat housing (metal one)... and if you have some cash left over I'd go ahead and replace the radiator with an all aluminum one... I was on my 3rd radiator when I sold it... the plastic hose fittings get pretty brittle from the heat cycling and tend to crack/break.

also, I'm sure you're aware, Do NOT let the motor overheat... they blow the head-gasket really easily (particularly between cylinders 5 and 6)... so if the temp starts climbing, shut down immediately... though you should do that for any car...

My old M3 had a K&N CAI, and a AA gen II catback exhaust... sounded AMAZING... interior was shot though... Also had 194k on it... was fast and fun to drive. aaaahhhh the memories haha

Before I bought my E30 M3, I never knew what the appeal of an M car really was. Let's put

it this way, I am a believer of the premium for a M car....well at least the older ones. And it

is true. The more you drive it the more you will love the car. I will never sell mine and that is

a fact. Unfortunately she's in hibernation until this inclement weather passes in the NE.

I will never sell mine and that is

a fact.

I said that too once in my life :lol:... but then I decided to get engaged... had to downsize the amount of cars I had because of the Condo, and needed money to help pay for the wedding... My M3 was pretty beat though so I didn't feel to bad letting it go... Someday I might get another one, but I think my next one will be an E46... for some reason I just LOVE the body style... the hp is nice too ;)

Before I bought my E30 M3, I never knew what the appeal of an M car really was. Let's put

it this way, I am a believer of the premium for a M car....well at least the older ones. And it

is true. The more you drive it the more you will love the car. I will never sell mine and that is

a fact. Unfortunately she's in hibernation until this inclement weather passes in the NE.

I almost bought an E30 M3 over the summer. It needed some body work and some TLC though. I got a bad feeling, and bailed on the purchase. Someone bought it right after I passed it up, and apparently the motor was no good.

As for the E36, I've only driven a handful of them. Not the fastest cars, but they sure did seem fun to drive.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The price on E30 M3s these days are crazy. still hold up value very well. my cousin has an mint alpine white E30 that's worth 22k. I went from an E46 M3 to a legacy. downgraded as far as power and handling go stock. my E46 also got 27mpg highway easily. I loved the car but I barely drove it trying to keep it clean. waste of insurance.

So, I haven't been on this forum for a while, since I sold my LGT. I had to downsize a bit, and wanted a car that war more designed for the road. I loved my LGT to death, but I just had an itch for a RWD german car.

About the car.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/bpoolman2003/m3%20rebuild/IMAG0083.jpg

My LGT =(

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/bpoolman2003/large%20wheel%20pics/DSC03287-1.jpg

Its a 98 m3, 5spd with 158k. Picked it up from a kid who moneyshifted and smacked all the valves. I'm into the car with TONS of new parts and a new topend for $6k (incl car cost)

So heres the scoop for all of you who have thought about the M3's. AS far as speed goes, My stock E36 would hang with a STOCK LGT. You can put about $1,200 in bolt ons and get 230-260whp. Doesn't sound like much, but this car delivers the power in a different way. Comes stock with rear LSD.

There is absolutely no comparison in the handling dept. THis thing is on crappy struts with 150k, and it feels like a go-kart. Its scary how well this thing drives/feels. It's hard to explain, but I feel much more connected to this car, than my LGT.

Build quality- I pulled the head off, along with the timing system, intake mani, and cams. I have to say, I'd rather do this on this car over a LGT. Having the motor sit parallel with the car makes everything easier to access. Parts don't cost anymore than the LGT's. I have to say these cars are EXTREMELY well built. manifold flanges are extremely thick, with copper gaskets/studs. Intake mani uses a silicon Oring type of deal, just pull it and it comes right off. The cylinder bore looked brand new, and I was blown away with how good the internals looked/felt with 150k. These s52 motors are said to get over 200k without any major work. The car is really actually pretty easy to work on.

Interior- front seats have plenty of room, (I'm 6'2") and the rears are about the same as the subaru, if not roomier. Remember, this is a 2dr. Quality is MUCH better. The vader seats adjust 6 different ways, and its just more stout. Still get a MPG/temp/timer display, along with al the power goodies.

Overall, this car drives better with 150k, than most cars I've driven with half the mileage. The straight 6 S62 is a super smooth, sweet engine. Its really torquey, and loves to rev. I hope this helps, coming from someone who has been on both sides. I loved my LGT. My only gripe was the engine build quality from subaru. It's nice to have a car that I know has a reputation of going over 200k miles, easily.

theres a lot of funny things i find in this post. first is i gotta pic of your car cuz i'm thinkin a set for my gt and i got it from a google search i did not now you were a member here... second is i had a deposit on similar m3, i just could not pull the trigger on a rwd car.. what color is your gsxr i also owned a 750 06..

Those e36 M3s must be awfully fast if they can keep up with a Legacy!
Ehhmm, here (EU) a E36 is faster than a Legacy-GT or WRX turbo, even stage-I tuned cars.

In 1992, when the E36 M3 3.0l was introduced, which produced 286 HP

From 1996 it got a 3.2l six inline, that produced 321 HP.

In the US both the 3.0 and the later 3.2 produce 240 HP....

Why the hell is that?:icon_ques

Very nice car's btw.

Apart from less traction in some cases, it is also faster on an track for instance.

This is still one of the best drivers-cars.

The price on E30 M3s these days are crazy. still hold up value very well. my cousin has an mint alpine white E30 that's worth 22k. I went from an E46 M3 to a legacy. downgraded as far as power and handling go stock. my E46 also got 27mpg highway easily. I loved the car but I barely drove it trying to keep it clean. waste of insurance.

The one I was looking at was only $4k. It had hit a deer, though, and needed a new radiator core support. The support was included, but that was beyond the level of rebuilding I was interested in doing. If it had required no body work, I would have definitely bought it. I also would have done an LS1 swap if the motor was bad, and I probably would have sold my Outback if my wife would have let me.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/88E30M3001.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/88E30M3005.jpg

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ok well, i am also on bimmerforums, yes. I haven't had the chance to drive it in the snow yet, but frond what I've heard, is they do amazingly well with a decent set of tires. I think this is due to the near 50/50 weight distribution. Its very common for guys to put on winter tires, and drive their cars everyday in really heavy snowy areas. I have my FJ40, so the M will probably never see snow. The M3 isn't super fast. I wish it was the euro model, they get all the REAL cars. The car is quick enough. I feel the M3 is the perfect balance between power and handling. The subaru IMO was just not built to handle like the M. My M's suspension is bone stock, and its insane how well it grips/responds. Its hard to explain, but it just feels right. The first car I experienced this was with was my beat up 88 jetta. For some reason, german cars (some) just feel right. That POS 88 jetta drove better than most my cars I've owned with less mileage and ten times the cost. The M is just an all around well balanced/proportioned car. Now if I had gotten a four door, I'd be set. I just couldn't pass up this deal. The 4 doors actually have a more rigid body structure, and weigh under 50lbs more. Part of getting rid of the suby was that it felt like a big car, and handled like one. I also didn't like how soft the paint was on my 05. And with running 350whp/tq, I felt like it was a ticking time bomb. I was always sending in my datalogs, and watching my AFR's timing, yada yada yada. It was like having another wife, and I definitely don't need that. I REALLY wish subaru put a little more effort into their engine. Don't get me wrong, I loved the car, and really miss it. I already put a track pipe on it, and removed the traction control. My city mileage is around 19-20mpg. My HWY mileage is around 28.5-30. Granted my subaru wasn't near stock, I got tired of getting 17-19mpg freeway.

For a little comparison, my father in law owns a babied, mint, 97 svt cobra with 70k on the clock. The car was underrated at somewhere near 300hp/290tq. The two cars are within 100 lbs weight. I drove his cobra the other day thinking it would put my M to shame. Nope. I was extremely disappointed. I felt like my car had much more power, and moved quicker. My brakes feel TONS better, my clutch pedal is way better, steering, suspension, everything. Remember this is a car with 70k, and mine has 158k. It just shows how well these cars are built. I do have serious love of E30 M3's too. They are just amazing cars, all around. I was really feeing the e39 M5's too. But they are EXTREMELY expensive to repair, and I felt that it was closer to the subaru in performance, than the M3. Right now, Im happy where I'm at. Im into my car for $6k, and I got dealer records from the attorney who bought the car in 98, all the way till 130k. He took it in for a squeaky hinges, and wiper blades. Its been treated well. In the future, I will most likely stay N/A. Ill probably just do some bolt ons.

Yeah I know what you mean. I do not recommend the Legacy when people ask for my suggestion for a car. If there were no shuddering issues with the tune, no oil pickup tube issues, and less oil consumption issues. I would say it's a fantastic car. It's unfortunate because these are fairly easy fixes. As far as driving experience, yeah I know what you mean. I have certain expectations when I look at specs. I got to drive my sisters 03 Mustang GT MT, an 08 Legacy GT auto, and a 2010 Camaro SS auto and I wasn't impressed with any of them. To be fair I didn't get much time in the Camaro.

Yeah, I loved the subaru, but I really didn't feel too confident in the drivetrain. Here I am @158k with a stock performance engine that doesnt burn a drop of oil, gets great mileage, and should go another 100k. I got sick of always looking at the mileage on the subaru. This car I don't even care, because I know it will keep going. The S50/S52 engines are extremely strong. When I pulled the head off the car, the head gasket still looked perfect. Along with everything else on the engine. Very impressed with it so far. Although my GF hates the car because of what everyone thinks about BMW's. Were modest people, and alot of people buy them for status.

Nice buy, can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.

I have had a bit of an obsession with E36 M3's, I have had a 97 coupe, 98 sedan, and 98.5 coupe, and I have regretted selling each one of them. Now, I have the spec.b and an S50 powered E30, so I am pretty happy with the current car situation.

Yeah, I loved the subaru, but I really didn't feel too confident in the drivetrain. Here I am @158k with a stock performance engine that doesnt burn a drop of oil, gets great mileage, and should go another 100k. I got sick of always looking at the mileage on the subaru. This car I don't even care, because I know it will keep going. The S50/S52 engines are extremely strong. When I pulled the head off the car, the head gasket still looked perfect. Along with everything else on the engine. Very impressed with it so far. Although my GF hates the car because of what everyone thinks about BMW's. Were modest people, and alot of people buy them for status.

We are the same way about that. I have trouble telling people that my wife drives a Lexus SUV. It's an old 97 lx450 and we got it because it was what we needed for the right price.

Always liked the M offerings from BMW, so nice find.

Archived