LegacyGT.com

Legacy Maintenance Guide

my '08 spec b has 15,500 miles on it and is at 26 months of age. what maintenance do I need? the website says "front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions" - but not sure what that means and sounds costly.

note: i have changed the oil every 3K and rotate tires 2X a year (summer/winter).

tks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should say inspect them and that's all you do.

Otherwise...

Change oil

Rotate tires

Inspect and adjust parking brake

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that it's a couple weeks after you posted that, EJH, I think I read that Subaru forced thel7.com to shut down due to copyright/naming violations. They do that a LOT...

I'm looking around for maintenance guides/intervals/etc. and that would've been a good reference. Does anyone have a way to link/copy the data in here?

Here is a link for Subaru's maintenance guide.

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/maintenance-schedule2009.html

On the right hand side of the page are links for other years that pertain to your vehicles.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for an aftermarket alternative to the green Subaru Long Life coolant, keep this in mind:

"Always use Genuine Subaru Long Life Anti-Freeze Coolant,which is readily available at all Subaru dealership parts departments. Its formula incorporates phosphate (non-amine) to insure adequate anti-corrosion protection of the aluminum alloys in boxer engines. If a substitute anti-freeze must be used in an emergency, be certain not to substitute the long-life OAT type found in certain domestic cars. Use only a phosphate (non-amine) formula.Read the label carefully to be sure."

The above quote is from the May 2005 edition of Subaru's End Wrench publication (now defunct?).

The Zerex Asian Vehicle Coolant may meet the above requirements, but I am not sure, as I have not seen an ingredients list for the Zerex.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Some new asian formula coolants are available from Beck Arnley:

Extended Life Blue (for Subaru)

Extended Life Pink

Red Concentrate

Green Concentrate (for Subaru)

http://www.beckarnley.com/bafluids.html

Subaru owners now have a choice of 5 different asian formula coolants, 2 from Subaru, 2 from Beck Arnley, and 1 from Zerex.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Just created an account and added my car on the https://www.subaru.com/index.html website. It has EVERY recommended maintenance checks and at what mileage it should be done at. This website is very very helpful in keeping track and making sure things are done at the correct intervals and by certified mechanics. You can add a local dealership, schedule maintenance and the dealership mechanics upload the completed check up into the website. AMAZING service by Subaru, no wonder people love this car manufacturer so much!

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive me if you feel this is posted in the wrong place.

So I just purchased a GT with 120k miles on it.

My question is basically based on being proactive.

If you just purchased this fantastic car, what would be the things you got looked at, serviced, and so on if this were one you experienced guys in heres buy?

I read somewhere in here that if you replace the turbo, it shouldnt be the turbo, but it is something else perhaps. The guy I purchased it from replaced the turbo prior to me purchasing it so now I feel I need to react in order to win!

so:

I want to do the work myself, and also find a great mechanic in the area, anyone from Austin, texas have a good place to go to a good mechanic?

Bucky

I am a chef, and I would be more than happy to share chef knowledge if needed as well.

Could be in another 5miles, could be 5000 miles. Depends on the amount of oil. I would at least change the oil (good idea whenever you buy a used car anyways) and see what, if anything, is in there. Can you talk to the guy/dealer you bought it from and see why the turbo was replaced? Like i said, it could have just been preventative

• 2 months later...
What kind of front/ rear gear oil, transmission oil, power steering fluid do people recommend for an 09 legacy 2.5i? I don't want subaru stock stuff. I want some good aftermarket stuff. I was thinking royal purple. I want to know some peoples opinions please. If the subaru stuff is just as good then I guess I use that then. (But I would rather not)

Does your legacy have a manual transmission or automatic transmission?

My favorite manual transmission/front diff fluid that I've used is my current fill, Red Line 75w-90NS. I've also tried subaru extra-s, amsoil severe gear, and supertech synthetic blend. Most people on these forums will recommend extra-s, but I wasn't impressed by it.

Power steering fluid, I would stick to OEM Subaru ATF-HP.

Rear differential fluid, whatever you use in the front diff should be fine in the rear diff as well.

Coolant system maintenance is very important on subaru vehicles. They are known to have potential head gasket issues and the flat engine creates special challenges because of the temperature differences between the heads and the blocks when it's not all close together. Add the subaru coolant conditioner and change your coolant frequently using the subaru coolant and you buy yourself a little extra insurance. I don't understand why anyone would want to save a whopping $10 - $20 when it comes to this. And 11 years is way too long between coolant changes.