LegacyGT.com

'09 Legacy: HID Kit + Clear Lenses + Stock Projectors = ???

b18c_ej8

I've checked out the modified headlight thread and various other HID conversion threads but haven't come across any definitive answers.

Is swapping out the OEM lenses with clear ones (like the Black series from TheRetrofitSource) and adding an HID kit while retaining the stock projectors a good idea? I need to shitcan the horrible stock lowbeams but I'm not quite ready for a full retrofit.

Thoughts? Thanks!

If that's the case go with the Osram Rallye H7 bulbs they drop in and supposedly offer more lumens than stock with similar life. The other option is just a drop-in HID kit from a vender here. I personally wouldn't bake my headlights unless I was going to do a full retrofit.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Hey chris, the design of these headlights are great for opening. I've baked off 2 diff sets, both JDM and USDM. The way it is designed water will find it difficult to get in compared to other headlights i've worked with.

b18c_ej8, Check this post for my shot output with stock headlight, plug n play HID kit, and TRS h7 4300k bulbs.

I might try the clear lense in the future and may do a washer mod to get some blue color at the top of the cut off.

I forgot to take measurement of the lense, idk which ones will fit.

I no scare of disassemble headlight. :p

Good info above on water infiltration although I've baked a few sets of headlights on previous cars, and no leaks on those.

As for the HID kit, I am looking at the TRS h7 kit. May just have to pull the trigger this week.

• 3 weeks later...

I was having the same question. I already put hids in the stockers and the light is not what i want so naturally I want to rip them apart and swap everything :lol:

I just ordered the tsxr lenses online ($30!!) and am in the process of sourcing some rx330s but they are hard to come by without the AFS thats all I seem to be finding. The wait is killing me so I kind of want to just put in the lenses to see the difference.

you're talking about a very small amount of price difference. Just wait and do it properly.

People always talk about adding extra sealant to it when you put it back together. I have cleared/opened 12-15 sets of lights and NEVER added extra sealant, and NEVER had a leak. When you open them, pull the cover "straight" off the housing so the OEM sealant doesn't get disturbed more than it needs to. Then reheat when you put everything back together and apply even pressure. You will be just fine.

I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I sirens up ordering the TRS h7 kit and their "Black Series" clear lenses. I installed them today and aside from now badly needing to aim the lights, I'm very pleased with the results. Also did the washer color mod (one #6 washer under each screw was good enough for me), as well as painting my cutoff shield high-heat red.

Here's a side by side if of the lenses. OEM Subaru on the left, TRS on the right. Quite a difference in clarity:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/b18c_ej8/IMAG0372_1.jpg

A shot of the output/cutoff from inside my garage. As stated, yes I know the aim is off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/b18c_ej8/IMAG0377.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived