LegacyGT.com

Help i ruined my dodge durango with fish sauce!

http://ninecooks.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/fishsauce.jpg

Yesterday a bottle of :rolleyes: spilled in the Durango, all over the leather seats and floor. That old gag where you leave a fish in a car to rot while the owner goes on vacation? This is about 1000 times worse. Its difficult to imagine how bad fermented fish sauce soaked into leather smells.

I'm going to pull out the SpotBot and hit the carpet. Any suggestions on how to "deep clean" leather now that the fish sauce has soaked in?:mad:

Thinking about buying new seats although I get the feeling I can fix the carpets with my SpotBot...

Seriously, my friend Faye said "Oh god, your car smells like VAG" (she was suggesting it smelled like week old vagina)... And that was from the OUTSIDE with the windows up and doors closed:spin:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leaving things out in the sun can sometimes help air them out and clean them, especially for organic smells, b/c most bacteria/molds/mildews don't really like direct sunlight. Consider pulling the seats and leaving them sitting in direct sunshine. This may even be more effective if you pull them apart. I'm sure the foam in the seats has soaked in the crap too. Your best bet may be to try to replace the foam. Seems like you should be able to scrub on the leather in a few wash then dry cycles out in the sun. Don't overdo the sun exposure since you don't want to completely dry out or fade the leather. Sorry I don't have a more specific chemical solution for you. For carpets, again you might have most luck tossing the padding (if any). Obviously, this implies pulling the interior out of the Durango, but if you're replacing seats and such, sounds like you're already willing to go that far. Trying these steps can only cost you time and effort and may save money in the end. There's no way all new leather is cheap. Good luck.

^ Start with something a little stronger for cleaning (like Fantastik or some such) and then move to a disinfecting spray like Lysol and then move to Fabreeze. Scrub everything in to the leather, including the Lysol and Fabreeze.

Watch out for chemicals that may cause the dye to fade.

By all means leave all doors and tailgate open on the Durango as long as you are comfortable with it (and it's not raining). A big part of the problem is that it is an enclosed space. Air it out. (I'm talking days here).

Yikes! Other than selling the car to a Vietnamese family, my suggestion would be to look for some Nature's Miracle:

http://www.petedge.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=43902&cm_mmc=Shopping-_-GoogleShop-_-StainOdorCleanupHouseTrain-_-NM11022&gclid=CMbXp7q0wa8CFQ1vhwodJTBVzQ

It's found at most pet stores and places that sell cleaning products. It has enzymes that break down odor causing agents of biological origin, such as saliva, urine, vomit, and feces. Fish sauce is pretty organic, so I suspect it will work on it as well. I used it years ago in my 1994 Suzuki Sidekick when my then girlfriend vomited white wine and seafood dinner all over my passenger seat. :mad:

Ohh man that is nasty. The carpet can probably be steam cleaned and thus disinfected. My LGT was smoked in, my detailer used a "Neutralizer" in the steam/shampoo solution that made a huge difference.

I would say getting new seats would be easiest if you have the means, way less of a headache then working on them forever and having them still smell.

If all else fails a trio of Squash air fresheners paired with Baking soda may mask it :)

good luck.

Sounds fishy, but you'll need to pull the carpet up and clean underneath it too. You'll also will need to pull the seat apart and clean the leather on the back side as well.

Good luck...:lol:

My wife's balls are delicious.

This sucks. Steam cleaning it may have made it WORSE not better. Im starting to think removal (at least for cleaning) is my only option. Also wondering what it would cost to have it detailed out. Would be worth several hundred dollars to me.

...The backstory...

Went to a friends place to cook them dinner since they don't know how to cook. I cook a lot of asian food and knew I needed fish sauce.

...The moral...

If you need fish sauce, leave it as a condiment for the house, do NOT take an open bottle of fish sauce inside anything precious, EVER. How can something that tastes so good cooked, smell so BAD. The first few minutes I try not to GAG and then I get used to it. The wife already told me I smelled terrible so I know anyone who gets in smells like week old vag too...:spin:

...the moron...

Seriously, on some levels this is worse than a part failure.:redface: I feel like a f---ing idiot.

Gut it and replace the interior.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The custom HD tranny, tranny coolers, swaybars, links, lsd diff, pnp intake mani, motor work, WILWOOD BBK, rims, tint, box welded frame, airbags, bilsteins, etc would be EXPENSIVE to replace.

Sadly, I made my mess and now I have to fix it or sit in it.

Ruski, I'm not hating on you for laughing at me. I may be hating on myself and very angry but I also think that if it were someone else I would be laughing my ass off. Maybe I can drop my deductable and raise my coverage for aftermarket parts and get North Korea to nuke it as unilaterally American and offensive. With the combo of my luck and their tech probably they would miss.

EDIT: Did I forget to mention that TOMORROW IS MY WIFES BIRTHDAY and I am supposed to TAKE HER CAMPING IN THE AIRSTREAM?!?!? I need the f---ing Durango to TOW it. She actually said she would MEET ME THERE in the OBXT since she doesnt want to be in the Durango. SHE IS A VEGETARIAN:spin::spin::spin:Oh yeah Im seriously in the sh--ter in on so many levels with this. It was easier to explain why I was spending 13k on the LGT than why I ruined the Durango.

I'm honestly contemplating contating my insurance company and calling it an "accident" to see what their coverage is for thigns like this. Does "fish sauce" show up on a CARFAX? :lol:

fish sauce

:spin:

Good luck to you and your wife. How does she not eat BACON? Is delicious!

Fixed:lol:

I tried being a vegetarian. I had DREAMS about eating meat. I am no longer a vegetarian but am starting to wish that I was. Alas, life is too short not to eat bacon.

Wow... Yeah, there isn't going to be much you can do short of replacing seats and carpets and possibly even headliners. Fish oil is one of the most permeating oils you can get and it will soak into everything. This seriously may be an insurance claim in order to repair.

What I would do first is remove the seat that it was spilled on. Unless it is a power seat, it should just be four bolts and it will come right out. Get that out of the truck so you can start cleaning the carpets. Use as hot of water as you can possibly use. Boil it in the kitchen and then take it out and pour it where it spilled if you have to and then suck it out with a wet/dry vac. That may do a decent job on the carpets.

As far as the smell inside the truck, there are a couple products for odor removal which exist. A detail shop may have a fogger they can put in there which will do a decent job. There are products like that which you can buy by the can too. You just click the nozzle down and close the doors. It will spray straight up and fog the vehicle just like you were spraying for bugs. Turn the air conditioner on recirculate and let it run full blast while you are doing this. If you use a good odor neutralizing spray, then you can clean the odor out fairly well with this method. I use it when I'm eliminating cigarette smell from cars.

The seat is another story. It is possible that you may have to replace it entirely. Definitely get it out of the truck so it doesn't further contaminate it though. If the sauce has truly soaked into the leather and cushion, then you will have to replace it. Some things are just plain ruined and can't be fixed. It's a Durango though, so I'm sure you'll be able to find a replacement without breaking the bank.

I would make some comment about the smell in the car and the fact that the Dodge logo looks like a vagina anyway and now it can smell like one too, but I wouldn't want to sound too insensitive. ;) I know this is a bad deal and I hope you are able to get it fixed.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

That old gag where you leave a fish in a car to rot while the owner goes on vacation? This is about 1000 times worse.

Hmmm... I don't know what you've got going on there, but I DID do that to a college buddy of mine's VW Passat after he left a fish head baking on my car hood. When I removed it, it peeled off the paint, so I immediately threw it in the back seat of his car... which, by the way, had the engine entirely dismantled awaiting a head gasket. Two months went by & he put it back together... and when he opened the door, he immediately threw up all over his garage.

He was reassembling the car to sell it. He tried, hard, to get rid of the smell--cut out the carpet, etc... but I think in the end he gave it away. I kinda felt bad... but he started it. :lol:

So yeah, I think you're up against a wall with this one.

Tits mcgee

Archived