LegacyGT.com

Door Speakers on a budget - db651's??

JustDrew

Hey everyone,

I just bought my 2006 Legacy 2.5i Limited a couple weeks ago. I'm looking to replace all 4 door speakers. I had my heart set on the Polk Audio db651's but I called Polk to see if they'd fit and they claimed that they wouldn't. Polk claimed that the speaker would hit the door panel. I found this odd because I recall seeing a DiY thread on this forum that specifically put the db651's in the rear door, at the very least. I'm not trying to do many alterations as I'm very much a beginner at this. I need 4 new door speakers that sound good and have a solid low end. I'm not looking to win any bass competitions but I do like a good thump like the next guy. What are your suggestions?

Oh, I've also considered putting an AMP on the doors once I replace them because I don't really want to replace the HU but I want to get the most out of the speakers as I can.

I just want something to bump w/o having to go the route of the bigger subwoofer in the trunk and the rear deck sub install (pre cut hole) looked a little overwhelming to me.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated as I'm beginning to feel at a loss.:spin:

-JustDrew

I actually just put in some Polk DB651s in my rear doors and they fit fine. I did however use the OEM plastic bracket/speaker to mount them. I basically ripped the OEM speaker out of the plastic case, and screwed the Polks to the case and mounted them from there. Worked great; and they sound fine too.

I am in the process of hooking them up to an amp but I screwed up some wiring and haven't got it all hooked up yet. This weekend I should finish.

I was recommended the 651s for the front doors (s for slim profile I believe) and the regular ones for the rears. Have purchased them but not installed as yet

I was just concerned about the db651s because I'm worried about losing some of the low end bass. I suppose it's probably better then the factory ones in there now. I just don't want to have to do it twice if I'm not happy.

I actually just put in some Polk DB651s in my rear doors and they fit fine. I did however use the OEM plastic bracket/speaker to mount them. I basically ripped the OEM speaker out of the plastic case, and screwed the Polks to the case and mounted them from there. Worked great; and they sound fine too.

I am in the process of hooking them up to an amp but I screwed up some wiring and haven't got it all hooked up yet. This weekend I should finish.

No vibration? Did you do and sound deadening?

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome. I finished my install last weekend and they sound great. Running them off an amp is beautiful.

Did you take the whole door panel off to install the speakers or do the speaker grills pop off so you don't have to take the entire panel off?

yeah...gotta remove the entire door. It's pretty easy and this REALLY helped...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9vMJVp7gGE]YouTube - How to remove speakers from a 2005 Subaru Legacy/Outback[/ame]

be warned....getting the cover off the door handle is not as easy as the guy makes it look but it will come off with some effort, especially if it's the first time like mine was.

I tried to run mine off an amp but the one I got was no good and had to send it back. (defective RCA jack) Now I have them running off the factory head unit and they still sound great. I actually have to fade them to the rear (rear 3 or 4 depending) and put the treble at -2 because they sound so good. I do have the bass at +3 or +4 but that will change because I'm getting a preamp Sound Ordnance 8" sub in a bandpass box to get some deeper/richer lows. after that I'm all done. All the wires have been ran....just waiting for it to show up. I can't wait!!

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

To install the db651/db651s do you just have to cut the connector off and reconnect the wires to the new speakers? There's no crossover or anything else involved, or is there?

Yes, that's what we did...Just cut off the factory connector. I've had the speakers in since last thursday and they're really starting to come alive. I can't wait to get my sound ordnance 8" preamped sub....I think it'll be the perfect sound combo and complete my audio.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally finished. it wasn't w/o it's bumps in the road....no pun intended but here is the last of my "budgeted" adds... Sound Ordnance 8" powered sub. Takes up small space but has a great punch and will even rumble on the very low's.

I thrilled with it. Great compliment to the new Polk door speakers.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z255/whowillgo/Subaru/Subphoto.jpg

Archived