LegacyGT.com

Custom-made Sport Grill: S402 Replica Walkthrough ('05-'07 Legacy)

nospmoht04

Here a quick little adjustment of the dark pic issue :) (not best for zooming tho :/ )

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/15/vysyhe3u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/15/2a5upa3y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/15/vapa7ygu.jpg

Credit to : Photoshop mobile app ;)

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh sweet thanks. I knew there was a way to brighten them but I didn't have time to figure it out. I'll sit down after work tonight and try to tweak em a little.

Man it looks nice in the pic with it brightened a bit. I'm likin this look more and more. Maybe I'll just...keep...this one...;)

I might have figured out a way to remove the chrome that's quite a bit easier than the bleach method. With a 9 bolt battery, some speaker wire and a hydrochloric acid solution I should be able to reverse electroplate the chrome without harming the plastic. I'm gonna test it out on a scrap grille and see how it goes.

I also talked to my body shop guy and he said to get it where I want it and he'll hit it with a thin coat of black epoxy primer which will stand up to flex, temperature and debris much better. He also suggested looking into powder coating but it may not stand up to the temperatures. I can drop off a junk grille at the powder coat shop and he said he'll throw it in with something else and see if it turns into a pile of goo or not.

So a few more options here to look into. Exploring everything I can think of so I can get a good routine going and make them as durable as possible. I'll keep ya posted.

I might have figured out a way to remove the chrome that's quite a bit easier than the bleach method. With a 9 bolt battery, some speaker wire and a hydrochloric acid solution I should be able to reverse electroplate the chrome without harming the plastic. I'm gonna test it out on a scrap grille and see how it goes.

Science FTW

When I used to work with RBS to make there 08-09 product line we use a gel coating on the final products as it fills in the minor surface imperfections and can be sanded as well if needed. This allowed for a very smooth finish to be present post molding to where you could choose to either paint it or not. With a Grill like that you would want a spray gel coating and not the brushed kind.

When I used to work with RBS to make there 08-09 product line we use a gel coating on the final products as it fills in the minor surface imperfections and can be sanded as well if needed. This allowed for a very smooth finish to be present post molding to where you could choose to either paint it or not. With a Grill like that you would want a spray gel coating and not the brushed kind.

Coincidentally my father showed me that stuff today. It's a gel in a squeeze tube that's like a primer/bondo mix. Sort of an in between step. I should try that out, seems like it'd get into little areas.

Can you do this with an OB grill if I send you one?

As long as the insert reaches all sides of the OB shell. Can really do anything with these materials. As far as you sending me yours that'd be a while off and I'd have to let you know later when that is.

I changed the coloring in those pics from today so you can actually see now. It should be pretty shlick with black paint on it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/nospmoht04/57b68c2a-24d7-45d4-bffa-5e8406cd4f19.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/nospmoht04/5b05a599-3ad6-4e6c-97dc-5ce13e43365c.jpghttp://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/nospmoht04/32fafd5a-2e65-45fa-be45-7a830ac798da.jpg

Coincidentally my father showed me that stuff today. It's a gel in a squeeze tube that's like a primer/bondo mix. Sort of an in between step. I should try that out, seems like it'd get into little areas.

Yeah it comes in tubes, or buckets etc.. if you can get it in the spray type and get a gun or rent one it will be the most even application. They may even have it in spray cans as well.

Grille has been ready for primer since Thurs/Fri. I'm waiting for my body shop to get back to me since I definitely want to use epoxy primer on it. They're closed Fridays so I expect to hear back soon. I called a few places locally but no one has black epoxy primer in an aerosol can. It sounds like I'd have to wait for some to be shipped anyways so I'll go with the body shop and let you know when it's done.

Amazon has them. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=epoxy%20primer%20aerosol&sprefix=epoxy+primer+%2Caps%2C419]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=epoxy%20primer%20aerosol&sprefix=epoxy+primer+%2Caps%2C419h[/ame]
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Finishing up the S402 Grille for SBT as soon as primer hits it and I'm looking ahead to the next people on the list. What I'll do is mention who would be up next and you'll have until the grille is finished to say whether or not you want to buy it. If I don't hear anything then I'll try and get in touch with who is after that. Right now I would have:

JJr

06silvarubiLGT

I know it's been a while since you guys showed interest so I completely understand if that has fallen through. I'll let you know when things are moving along. Thanks.

Hey guys in response to adding you I can absolutely do that. However, the list of 2 people up above there, that's just the next two people in line. I posted that at work and didn't have the entire list. The whole list is around 42 people. That's going back the past year and a half of people asking to be added. I fully expect people to back out or not respond so I'm sure it'll shrink.

Here's the list so everyone has an idea of what's going on. 47 grilles with 1 just needing paint.

SBT (almost done)

JJr

06silvarubiLGT

ttcheung97

doccrowley

05NH2.5i

InspectorGadget

blongo804

claymore_6r

Rester5350

rkhousman

BigbenTO

JamesLaw

Yourconfused

Rockford

bermo

kndstrouble

Barmanbean

stevegspear

thisheregiraffe

floater163

rob-2

Burba88

leakypipe86

jfg22557

theatreofdreams

Alopez6337

Bladeversion1

Connor

Slobaru

Joeboo98

omenjh

Scooby2.5

90G60

Nightmaresmk

Pt Pixel

Rockgod

totaled04Rex

Blackbird97

rexnebula

PoTTaNz

Jeffer

TeriyakiBBS

kongzilla

ExqlusivE

big_tom

scoobyskier

I wrote people down as they asked and dated next to their names. If I messed up anyone's name or anything let me know. I get that a lot happens in a year and a half. Sold your car, bought another grille, or just don't feel like buying one but if you could just let me know if you aren't interested so I have a realistic idea of what I'm working with, that'd be a big help.

It's been slow going since I stopped making them for a while. The first one took a lot of trial and error and overall time, and the last one was probably twice as fast when I had time to work on it. Today I made a template out of the one and only insert I just tore out from another project. Now I can cut right to that shape and get used to cutting them, making things 10 times easier. I have better tools to apply the epoxy, and a faster, easier way to blend the parts. I decided to use a satin or flat black epoxy primer which is a more durable finish and should beast through winters. Epoxy primer is expensive by aerosol can so I might make a few at a time and have them painted together.

The last one I made, I set the insert back off of the lip and liked how it turned out. There are some progress pics of it a page or so back. I'm going to keep making them like this. I've got almost enough materials to make 6 more now but I'll be looking around for a couple grilles soon.

I plan on putting some time into making more and hopefully get a bunch done soon. I will let ya know.

Edited by nospmoht04