LegacyGT.com

Help with a project- ignition coil connector

I don't own a Legacy, but am adding fuel injection to an old motorcycle via Microsquirt. I needed a compact (it fits under the gas tank) 4 cylinder wasted spark coil and found the one from the 90's model Legacy was a good fit & affordable. The problem at this point is finding the connector to wire it. I don't want to cut off the connector on the new part so I can replace it easily if it fails. I do not have any junkyards close by and don't want to buy an entire used harness for one connector, so I'd like to find either a connector or pigtail online.

I've been looking at a lot of connectors and cannot find the exact thing I need, so I joined her to ask for help.

I searched to see if I could find this info here and could not find it. I have attached a couple of relevant photos. One is from an MSD install from this site that has the connector I need circled, while the other is a close-up of the coil pack connector.

Thanks for any help.

764733057_SubarucoilHRc.thumb.jpg.758be89e0539f282f2da83958ca7019d.jpg

uf159t-3.thumb.jpg.e44f44362d6d71d7aac7f5ad06e43338.jpg

To junkyard tell them all you want is the coil connector. They shouldn't want more than $5, though one yard I get to occasionally has a $10 min, which is ridiculous for a part like this.

If you can't find one, someone here should have one.

O.

To junkyard tell them all you want is the coil connector. They shouldn't want more than $5, though one yard I get to occasionally has a $10 min, which is ridiculous for a part like this.

If you can't find one, someone here should have one.

O.

Thanks, but

I do not have any junkyards close by

If I cannot ID it, I'll have to rely upon a used one. I hope to find a new one as I usually make my own harnesses so as to avoid intermittent electrical issues.

I think I found it.

The brand is Sumitomo (like the tires). The series is HM-3. Here are two parts, the receptacle (the part I need), HM-3S. Sumitomo p/n: 6180-3451.

HM-3S.jpg

The other half is the HM-3P. Sumitomo p/n: 6187-3801.

HM-3P.jpg

They are like $2-3 each with terminals and seals. US shipping was like $3.50, so it's a good deal. I made a combo picture to compare the original photo & this part.

:)

uf159t-3v.thumb.jpg.ca7d0a1cfb67acf935847734ff3ab5b7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I think I found it.

The brand is Sumitomo (like the tires). The series is HM-3. Here are two parts, the receptacle (the part I need), HM-3S. Sumitomo p/n: 6180-3451.

HM-3S.jpg

The other half is the HM-3P. Sumitomo p/n: 6187-3801.

HM-3P.jpg

They are like $2-3 each with terminals and seals. US shipping was like $3.50, so it's a good deal. I made a combo picture to compare the original photo & this part.

How did you know what gauge wire and seal to order?

OK, so now I have an MSD coil, pigtail to plug into MSD with three wires coming out, Sumitomo 3-wire adapter to plug into existing wiring harness.

Since I pretty much only get one chance inserting the wires into the Sumitomo plug question is..??

Do the wires match up directly or do they need to be changed??

Picture attached showing how I plan to wire the adapter.

THANKS in advance.

Working on uploading picture.

Still no joy. rebooted, tried different formats & browsers, resized.. Any ideas?

Archived