LegacyGT.com

The Ridiculousness

ScoobySTi07

So I decided to go full-bore on some new brakes as one of my last upgrades to the car and get some new shoes to go with them. I just figured I'd share the end result. Oh and one day when it stops raining I might actually have time to wash the car. My vBGarage

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii26/ScoobySTi07/New%20gear/DSC_7460.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii26/ScoobySTi07/New%20gear/DSC_7461.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii26/ScoobySTi07/New%20gear/DSC_7463.jpg

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is StopTech really does their homework when it comes to brake packages.

Both the fronts and rears went on without a hitch. The hardest part was getting the old rotors off (bring 2 8mm bolts to pop the stock rotors loose if you ever replace your rotors) and dealing with a couple of the brake line bolts but after some PB Blaster, a 10mm flare wrench and a pair of vice grips all I had to do was file out the brake line mounts a little so the slightly larger StopTech connectors would fit nicely. Other than that it was straight bolt on.

As for the difference, I went from stock brakes with 225/55-17 Yokohama YK520 all season tires mounted on stock rims to StopTech 4 pot 332's in front and 2 pot 328's in rear with 245/45-18 Dunlop StarSpecs mounted on WORK 18x8.5 rims. I don't know whether it's the tires or the brakes that are doing more for my braking. All I do know is now my 3400 lb wagon comes to a stop in one hell of a hurry when I want it to without locking up the tires which is closer to the way it should have come from the factory. OkaI'm the first to admit it's a little overkill but stock braking is like trying to stop on loose gravel compared to now. Matching tires to the brakes did a heck of a lot for my stopping as well and I've got Xenonk to thank for the tire help as brakes are only as good as the tires they're stopping.

The one thing I can definitively comment on is the ride is now a little firmer and the handling is quite a bit sharper but without a noticeable increase in cabin noise. The 0.5" drop in sidewall height and the increase from 95v to 96w sidewall stiffness probably accounts for the ride and handling. The cabin noise however was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting a noticeable increase but that hasn't really emerged yet.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

^^totally jealous and no you can’t join the uber elite StopTech club with me and Ted and those like 3 other guys.

As for the cost, I've blown through my mod money for the next year or 2 so unless something breaks I'm not doing anything else to my car for a long while. :(

As for the dust, I'm running the Axxis ULT pads right now and they don't seem to be too bad on dust but they are ceramic and not anywhere near a track pad. I guess it means I'll just have to wash the new wheels a little more often but then again I've got dark silver rims and a red Outback so dust and dirt aren't big issues for me as you can see from the pics I posted. :D

What suspension is that?

Looks great!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

do the stoptech rears go on without any special adapters or do they come with them?
I'll answer for him...

They come with the adaptors for the calipers, and the rotors are direct bolt-on including the correct size drum inside the hat for the parking brake. You do have to lose the rotor shield in the back though...

:spin:

• 3 weeks later...
What suspension is that?

Looks great!

Thanks a lot and sorry it's taken me so long to reply but they are Megan Racing Outback specific coilovers. In my opinion they are a decent buy for the money but I guess I've been one of the lucky ones. I've yet to have a major problem with them over the past 20ish thousand miles (knock on wood) but am currently in the process of looking for a new setup to replace them before something does go bad.

Oh and I’d like to take back what I said about the dusting not being that bad. Let’s just say that my matte grey silver wheels are now gunmetal.:redface:

• 2 weeks later...
Mine too...and I painted my wheels Matte Black. Wonder if they have a low dust pad?
lol well I'm not giving into matte black wheels yet but remind me to never get a wheel with more than 7 spokes. The ones I have take forever to clean as it is with anything more I don't I'd ever clean my car.

Oh yeah I randomly entered nasioc.com's Top Scoob 16 competition. If you've got more than 25 posts over there you can vote. This month it's for Outbacks and Outback sport's. I'm currently getting my butt kicked mostly because I've got no decent pics of my car and about as many posts total over there as I've made here in the past week. It's mostly that and I haven't done an STi engine swap or have a bunch of shiny stuff under my hood.

Anyway here's the link if you'd like to take a look. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1830097

Archived