LegacyGT.com

Decision Time

jaycee

I got a flat on one of my stock RE92's and by the time I noticed it and made it to the side of the road (and put on the temp spare) the original tire was toast. I didn't notice it was finished until I took it in to be fixed and there were chunks of the tire inside.

So, I'm left with the dilemma of buying a new RE92 to match the others that are on the car (approx 4500 miles) or see what they'll give for the three old ones in consideration for an upgrade. I haven't had much problems with the RE92's in either rainy or snowy conditions but I've seen the torrent of bad comments they get on this site which makes me feel like it may not be wise to buy a new one.

That being said I don't know if a tire dealer would give me much for 3 RE92's with 4.5k miles on them but it is a tempting thought to use this as a chance to upgrade. Since I have to buy one tire anyway maybe I should look at this as a chance to buy 3 and get one free.

Thoughts?...

Well if you can get your dealer to get credit for the three, I say get new tires, say maybe Toyo Proxes 4 or Pirelli PNero Zero M&S. The price for a new RE92 tire from what I recall is more than either of those two, so you might as well get a new set of tires...
-ben

The exact same thing happened to me at 4500 miles- flatted on the freeway and shredded one tire. Weird huh?

I went to a local tire place and they gave me like $30 for each of the 3 remaining tires and I got a set of Proxes 4s.

Much better tire- although in Mass you might want to go with the Pirelli's since they seem to do better in snow.

When I lived in Boston I ruined 3 tires in 2 months- bad place for tires!

Good luck

tom

tom :)

If you decide on new tires I'll give you $80 shipped for one of the three RE92's! I need one for my spare! :D

Hmm, interesting thought...

And by the way, when I put the cookie spare on I put the original tire in the wheel well. If fit fine, seemingly with room to spare (no pun intended), but the styrofoam tray that goes on top of it did not fit all the way down. So, if you went with a full size spare you'd probably just have to trim down the styrofoam tray or find something else to use in its place.

I have till Monday to decide what to do so I'll deliberate on the feedback...

Thanks,

J

New tires for sure. Check out Kumho Ecsta ASX as well. I have been pleasantly surprised after putting a new set of wheels with these tires on. I was planning on Toyo's or P-Zero Neros.

The ASX are great....much better than expected. They were on the used set of wheels I bartered for....figured I give them a shot as I had a set of Ectsa Hp714's for winter on my old CRX. I haven't driven them in the snow yet, but as bad as the RE92's were in the white stuff, the Kumho's can only be better. I am very please with grip and feel.......have set to slide the front end like I did on the RE92s. In case I forgot to say it, I have 225/40/18 ASX's. That could account for some of the improvements.

BTW - I recommended them to my bro's fiance for her Acura CL-S to replace her Michelin Pilot Sports. She commented about how much better they are, and she could care less about cars.

Why hasn't anyone spoken about the WS-50 Blizzaks? I just picked up a pair this past weekend and we got a snow/ice storm lastnight (northern fairfield county, CT) and they worked great. I've owned a tahoe and a blazer in the past and my subbie w/the blizzaks are by far the best in the snow. Let me know if you guys have had any experience w/the blizzaks.

Espo

Well, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a new Potenza RE-92. I didn't mind so much that they came as original equipment, but it's an entirely different thing from liking them so much I'd go back for more. So, I decided to go with the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (flat spot risk notwithstanding).

I plan to unload the three remaining RE-92's (with ~4,500 miles on them).

I don't have enough first-hand data on the new tires to rate them yet. Today's weather was hellacious - first snow, then sleet, followed by rain and now a hard freeze. It was a real hoot getting to the tire place with the donut spare on the front.

I considered the Falken's, the Toyo's and dedicated Nokian snows (RSi's) but without another set of rims I thought I'd go with all seasons for now. I'll post an opinion on the Pirelli's when I have more miles on them.

Thanks for the input...

Archived