LegacyGT.com

starter motor or solenoid?

• I Donated
Nope. It comes as one whole unit. DO NOT get the starters from Advance Auto Parts. They are garbage. Stick with Autozone on starters...or a DENSO starter if you can find one (:

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

first check to be sure it is fully charged and that the battery posts are clean and making good contact.

then, if that does not help, it is probably the contacts in the solenoid. they get old and pitted and do not make a good connection. you can replace them, it's not too hard. they cost about $12, i think.

BUT, you may also correct it by installing a relay. you can test this theory by turning the key to run, and then jumping power to the SMALL wire connector on the starter directly from the battery. if the ''jumper'' wire makes it start, a relay will fix it.

let me know if you need more info.

not you john. johnegg..

ok hmm. i guess i should make sure i fix the right problem first..

i hear a click from the starter when i press start. just no turn over some times. seems to only do it while cold.

If you hear a click, the solenoid is probably working.

If it doesn't turn, it's probably a bad starter. If you tap it with the plastic handle of a screwdriver (give it a good whack), it should start right away.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

maybe, but before i spent $75 on a replacement starter, i would try the relay fix. the parts are cheap and it doesn't take long to try it.

1 - relay (generic head light relay will do just fine)

1- wire pigtail w/ inline fuse (from the the battery to the relay)

1 - ground wire (from the relay to the chassis)

1 - jumper wire pigtail (from relay to starter)

6 - 8 - female spade connectors

no existing wires to cut, install the relay in line between the existing ''small wire'' on the starter and the starter. power it from the battery, fused, and run a ground wire. if it works great. if not just disconnect it and you have spent ~$12 diagnosing your problem.

but my bet is that the relay will work. this is not an uncommon problem for subarus, 80s - 90s.

well it didnt do it today, but sometimes when i pressed the start switch it took a little bit and then went. its got 230k on it. and im not sure what you guys are talking about with the relays. aint their just a solinoid right on the starter that gets the on signal and then turns on the bigger switch?

so the the relay is what sends the 12volt signal to power the soliniod right. then the plunger drops conecting the battery right to the starter.

yes, you are right . that is how it is designed to work.

my theory is this:

over time as the car ages 2 things happen.

1. the contacts in the starter solenoid age , become pitted and charred and do not conduct as well as the did when new.

2. the wiring connections in the ignition circuit age and do not conduct as well as they did when new.

so one possible solution is to improve one or the other low conductive conditions, new contacts in the starter or more juice getting to the starter solenoid.

the new relay and power ''direct'' from the battery to the solenoid fixes one of these conditions and has worked in my outback for over 5 years. it still has the original starter at 150k+ miles.

just my opinion.

What I did before I replaced the contacts in the solenoid was to Google "starter alternator rebuilding" then zip code. I went to the closest place that rebuilt them and they were happy to sell me the parts. Cost $10. Sounds like your ignition switch is fine, don't mess with it. You'll be amazed at how simple this fix is. The starter's right on top. Took about 45min. (and I was being very leisurely about it-Taking my sweet time)

Swagon_wagon..... Did you read the walk-through link I posted?

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I have to revive this thread, so I am having almost the same problem. I turn the key to start the car and nothing happens, no clicking noise or anything. I leave the key in the ON position and them jump the starter and the car starts. Any ideas? Is it the starter relay?

my response: see above, post #3, post #12, post #15.

but most folks would say replace the contacts in the starter solenoid after you check the battery and the battery cable connections.

i did the relay because it was less labor and since it worked i have had no need to replace the contacts. i have heard stories of a replacement / reman starter not solving the problem.

• I Donated
if you dont hear a click its the relay. if you hear a click its the contacts.

Not all the time.

No click could be bad wiring as well....or even a dead battery!

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived