LegacyGT.com

Amplifier install problem! 2005 Legacy

Water Bear

I am trying to install an Alpine amp in my trunk, using the speaker level inputs of the amp. I used the following diagram for my 14-pin connector: http://ae64.com/Legacy-pinout.htm

The trouble is, when I plug everything back in and crank the car / turn the key to the acc position, the stereo doesn't come on, but the amplifier does. I have checked the fuses, and the wiring. Everything is positive-to-positive, as it should be.

Does anyone know what could be causing this, or has anyone experienced this before? If the topic has already been addressed, link your boy Water Bear to the complete coverage. Thanks in advance.

I have my remote turn on spliced into the power antenna (on the 14-pin coming from the stereo), and it seems to be working.

I kind of think there is a blown fuse somewhere, but it would seem the CD player and the faceplate would use the same power source, no?

Update: I just checked every fuse that seemed like it could be even peripherally related to the faceplate, and they're all good. Still no clue what's up.

I found a large black cable somewhat loose going into the back of the head unit next to a reflective, hard plastic square about one square inch in area.

What the heck is that thing?

edit: Yea whatever it is it doesn't help. Faceplate still black.

On the plus side the new system sounds good, even in the lack of luxuries like ejecting CDs and changing the volume.

Problem solved! I found this last night: http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/2005-ob-and-legacy-stereo-4808.html? The pertinent point is on page 2. It turns out the stereo faceplate doesn't work unless the whole assembly has been screwed back in, and I believe this is due to some sort of contact-ground. Anyway, I jammed the head unit back in and it came alive. Needs to be tuned.

Archived