LegacyGT.com

looking for some advice engine related

4boxparts

So I think my son's motor in his legacy is pretty much toast. Blowing a lot of whitish smoke on wot. Oil consumption is really high, going through a quart every 400 miles or so.

I'm looking to get the block swapped for a new shortblock. Any other stuff I should be looking to change since the motor is out?

Some specs on the car.

deadbolt tdo6-20g - will be sending to bnr to rebuild and maybe have wheels changed

jdm tgv deletes

nismo 740cc injectors

perrin tmic - will be looking to swap to fmic while motor is out. Looking at itsoem's kit

cobb catted dp

cobb up

avo in-tank fuel pump

blitz induction - looking to switch to open element. Looking at cobb or aem. any recommendations?

stock clutch - looking to switch to clutchmasters fx300 w/oem wrx pressure plate. any other input?

is the oil baffle plate and killer b oil pickup necessary?

thanks in advance. haven't really be following the lgt stuff in years.

If you're going to replace an engine and keep the same crap OEM subaru pistons (which is likely the cause of the oil consumption), you're just wasting time and money as they'll blow again soon, especially as the newer pistons seem to actually be worse.

Put some forged pistons in.

If you're going to replace an engine and keep the same crap OEM subaru pistons (which is likely the cause of the oil consumption), you're just wasting time and money as they'll blow again soon, especially as the newer pistons seem to actually be worse.

Put some forged pistons in.

is it a proven fact that the newer pistons are worse now than before? The old motor lasted a good 60k miles @ 18-20psi on the 20g. I'd like to drop a new shortblock into the car for now while getting the original motor built.

is it a proven fact that the newer pistons are worse now than before? The old motor lasted a good 60k miles @ 18-20psi on the 20g. I'd like to drop a new shortblock into the car for now while getting the original motor built.

Seems like a lot of money that doesn't need to be spent, unless you have other plans for that motor once you remove it to put in the built one.

IMO, take your block out and add:

CP pistons

KillerB pickup

All fresh gaskets/seals obviously

pumps if needed due to mileage

Check heads & refresh if needed

Call it a day.

Why not add a set of headers too

cuz my ass is paying for all this stuff. lol. he can buy himself some headers when he has some ca$h.

This is what it looks like right now.

1)Pull stock block and have bottom end built w/forged internals.

2)Send turbo out to get rebuilt and upgraded to an hta68.

3)New clutch and flywheel. looking at the clutchmasters fx300 w/oem wrx flywheel.

4) racerx fmic kit

5) cobb intake w/box

anyone know what 740cc injectors can support? trying to figure out if I need to swap out for bigger or if 740cc is enough. Hoping for around 350-375whp on pump.

Yes, but you have a far different turbo. A 68HTA will only make about 315 on pump gas. The set up listed will never hit those power goals on pump 91. 20g would be a better choice than the 68HTA. 68HTA is more like an 18g.

So I'd be better off keeping it 20g instead of the 68hta to get those types of numbers on pump?

68HTA does not wake up until over 22psi. 23 seems to be the magic number. So, on pump it is not that much fun. On e-85 it is da bomb. 18g makes more power on pump gas, but slightly less on e-85. 20g would get you much closer to where you want to be. FPGreen would get you there. If you were happy enough with the 20g before, stick with it. Nothing going to get you above 21psi on our crap pump gas.

68HTA does not wake up until over 22psi. 23 seems to be the magic number. So, on pump it is not that much fun. On e-85 it is da bomb. 18g makes more power on pump gas, but slightly less on e-85. 20g would get you much closer to where you want to be. FPGreen would get you there. If you were happy enough with the 20g before, stick with it. Nothing going to get you above 21psi on our crap pump gas.

Thanks. Looks like it'll be between a fp green or staying 20g.

Wow 21psi on pump. That's pretty weak. Lol.

Archived