LegacyGT.com

2.5i Intakes - Cold Air & Short Ram

• 5 weeks later...

Your car is slower with that intake on. You lost torque. Throttle response might seem snappier but that's about it. You're just getting sound.

Factory airbox has been proven time and time again to be the best solution....unless you just enjoy having a modified engine bay.

Not trying to sound harsh, it's just the truth. The "torque box" in front of your throttlebody is there for a reason!

Please tell me all this "your car is slower with an intake" stuff is actually backed up by real dyno information and not another "intakes and exhausts dont make power until 400whp" type crap.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156560

Id be curious to know how putting an intake on the 2.5i legacy is different than doing it to a 2.5i impreza....please educate if I am wrong. With numbers and proof. Not "my buddy's buddy who knows some guy at a shop said on another forum"

Again, im not a NA expert by any means, but Ive been looking at putting a high flow cat and an intake on my 2.5i imp. wagon for some extra oomph and in quick searching, all I find are gains....any one have recent, reliable, conflicting data to show otherwise?

It's not a power thing actually. There are gains, just a bit of a drawback from a standstill...

I'm going to do my standard spiel here and chime in with some actual data. On a 05+ Impreza, a full SRI will flow 10-15% more air depending on where you are in the rev range. The majority of the gains are from 4k to redline.

HOWEVER, any intake with bypasses or eliminates the snorkus (big gourd looking thingy in the fender, so I'm talking about ALL SRIs, CAIs, and snorkus deletes here) will screw up the MAF calibration and cause the car to run VERY, VERY rich under certain conditions. Depending on the car and the exact conditions, this can be anything from just a "bog" on the low end to the car rich-stalling, bucking, and belching black smoke.

Also see this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

• 2 weeks later...
i just modified and kn typoon intake short ram for my car, its made for gt legs. Seems to be working fine the way i have it but in the morning now its hard to start, i get a gas smell even after reseting the ecm when i put the inatke on? People at my work said it might not be the intake doing it maybe a sticking injector flooding out the car when it sits any suggestions. once car starts its fine idles good and runs good?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I'd like to see a version of this hybrid intake. I was looking into getting a short ram intake but if I'm going to LOSE torque by getting rid of the torque box no matter how ugly it may be I'll stick with it. I was hoping for more power gain than that of a K&N drop in filter.

Archived