LegacyGT.com

Anyone try the: 65W Osram Ultra High Output H9 burner on H7 base

05 Outback 2.5i

Has anyone tried these H7 low beam replacements from Stern lighting? Their light output seems to approach that of the HIR bulbs that are avilable for the high beam sockets. Considering these as we have joined the ranks of burt out headlamps. Does anyone feel the constant 65w draw would necessitate a headlamp harness to avoid wiring issues? Considering one anyway, but..

Description: 65W Osram Ultra High Output (2100 lumen, H9 burner on H7 base, race and special-purpose use): $24.00/ea

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html (You'll have to scroll down the page)

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 BFG Traction T/A's

My car is running EU Osram Silverstars and they are the BRIGHTEST halogen that you can get for a direct H7 replacement.

Here's the link. Takes about 1 week delivery time and costs about $38 bucks US w/ free shipping.

http://powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?product.asp?numRecordPosition=2&P_ID=124&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=89

My car is running EU Osram Silverstars and they are the BRIGHTEST halogen that you can get for a direct H7 replacement.

Here's the link. Takes about 1 week delivery time and costs about $38 bucks US w/ free shipping.

http://powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?product.asp?numRecordPosition=2&P_ID=124&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=89

Hey PDX,

I'm familiar with the Silverstars, and have seen alot of board members use and like them. However, according to the Blurb on Daniel Stern's site, these bulbs would have a higher light output than the Silverstars. I was also under the impression that the Silverstars used a tinted globe to produce a whiter light (looks liek it in the pictures on Osram.Sylvania's website)? If this is the case, that would obviously dimminish overall light output as well, and the bulb is starting out at a 10 watt disadvantage to the bulb I was asking about. Osram/Sylvania's web site rates the Silverstar H7 at 1350 Lumens, 750 fewer Lumens than the Bulb in question. I'd think these bulbs would be a signifigantly brighter than the silverstars...

Link to Osram/Sylvania's Web site Spec:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/ProductLine/default.htm

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Hey Outback ~

yes I've read the Daniel Stern lighting FAQ quite a bit in the past year and here's what I've come to the conclusion on as far as bulbs go.

The 65W one's your looking while added lumens, could end up causing stress on the stock wiring without a relay mod. As far as H7 direct replacements go, I would say if you're fine with the risk that a higher wattage bulb than what the stock wiring can use, I'd say go for it. The problem I've seen with bulbs that are higher wattage than the wiring can handle is melting plastic and it's not worth the trouble.

Of course the other arguement is if a person can tell the difference between 2100 Lumens and 1350 Lumens out of the same car, projector, lamp housing etc, on a perfectly clear day/night, I'd be suprised.

Anyways, The Osram SilverStars are quite possibly my favorite Halogen replacement bulb to date for the Legacy and I'm sure whatever bulb you decide to go with, you'll be happy. :)

Hey Outback ~

The 65W one's your looking while added lumens, could end up causing stress on the stock wiring without a relay mod. As far as H7 direct replacements go, I would say if you're fine with the risk that a higher wattage bulb than what the stock wiring can use, I'd say go for it. The problem I've seen with bulbs that are higher wattage than the wiring can handle is melting plastic and it's not worth the trouble.

While I'd agree that there tends to be a lot of problems with people melting their stock headlamp plugs, and overloading the stock wiring harness with the use of 85w and 100 w bulbs (in all makes of vehicles), I’d be surprised if the additional 10 watts would cause problems with the factory wiring harness. Especially since the stock 9005 high beam bulb is a 65 watt bulb. I doubt they use heavier gauge wiring on the high beam circuit than they do the low beam circuit, but they could I suppose. Would they produce enough added heat at the bulb to cause problems with the plastic housings? Maybe (given the reports I’ve heard), but I tend to doubt the added 10 watts would be an issue here either. And again, the stock high beam bulb is a 65 watt bulb, granted one doesn’t usually run their high beams for extended periods of time, but the possibility exists, so I would hope Subaru designed in the ability to handle extended use without issues. Since you mentioned it though, I’ve used aftermarket wiring harnesses for headlamp systems on a few cars, and they make a dramatic improvement even with stock bulbs, much less high performance bulbs.

Of course the other arguement is if a person can tell the difference between 2100 Lumens and 1350 Lumens out of the same car, projector, lamp housing etc, on a perfectly clear day/night, I'd be suprised.

I can’t really say I’d be surprised. I’d be more surprised if I couldn’t tell the difference, and I’d be suspect of their rated output. An additional 750 lumens is approximately 56% more light output than the Silverstar’s rating, you don’t think that would be noticeable? After all, I’m sure you could see the difference in your headlamps if you cut their output (in Lumens) by more than half, don’t you think? I would think it would be noticeble, but I haven’t experienced these bulbs, so I can’t say for sure. People seem to be noticing the 650 Lumen increase in the highbeam upgrade to HIR bulbs pretty readily:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6532&highlight=high+beam+wattage

I was kind of hoping that someone had experienced these bulbs, and could give us a subjective review.

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Go with the Osram Rallyes. I have them on my car and they work great, especially if you want to stick with a halogen incandescent lighting system. They have a much higher intensity than stock, a more white color temperature, and a noticably longer visual range. I highly recommend them. Also, they are within a few watts of power draw when you compare them to upgraded bulbs such as the Osram Silverstars. I don't think that there is any risk of melting your wire harnesses. Their only possible drawback may be service life, as they are only rated for 200 hours. I disconnected the driving light relays on my vehicle to enhance their life.

Archived